Friday, January 04, 2019

A Little Yarn Crawling

I had a yarn experience in mid-December that I haven't told you about yet. There was a nice little yarn crawl here, starting in late November--I don't mean to be condescending when I say little, it's just that it only involved three shops, in Naples, Ft. Myers, and Venice. (I didn't make it to the latter, which is the farthest away, but I'll try to get to that this year.) However, for the wrap-up of the crawl*, they had an open house (open warehouse?) at Knit One Crochet Too, a yarn brand I knew of, but didn't realize was based down here. Neat!
*Which they had made sound like would be more event-like, but was really just an opportunity to shop the warehouse; okay then, I can do that.

A sign that I'm in the right place.
I didn't take many photos, but look at this cool yarn-related machine. (For skeining, I think, or something like that.)
And what's this on the office wall?
Nice decor choice!
On to the important stuff: what did I buy?

They had a table with odd skeins; I'm not sure if they were colors that weren't going to be made again, or just ones that they only had a few of left, but there were two skeins of Crock-O-Dye whose colors I loved. Light greens, like sea glass (not well captured by these pictures).


And, of course, blues. Blurry, apparently.
That's better.
Then there was a hand-dyed (and thus one-of-o-kind) skein of Après Ski in lovely blues and greens that just about had my name on the label.
Oddly enough, the label actually had two names: one was Après Ski, the other side was marked Cozette, but that definitely isn't what this yarn is (since Cozette is a silk-cotton fingering weight, and this is clearly a heavier weight than that, plus not at all silky-slippery).



Finally, the big purchase of the day. They had a lot of sample garments to check out, and there was one in Ty-Dy that showed just how nicely it knits up. I do need to explore more cotton yarns now that I'm in Florida, and look at this color combo.
Well, again the photos are a little washed out, but the blues/greens/purples are right up my alley.

The pattern I got for it isn't the one I first saw, but for another top I liked even better; a simple, wearable pattern called the On The Go Top, which you can mod for sleeveless, short, or long sleeves (I'm planning sleeveless).

Which makes at least two things I want to cast on now, despite having multiple projects in active status. Work takes up so much knitting time.

No comments:

Post a Comment