Thursday, January 31, 2019

A Different Type of Exercise Deterrent

As I mentioned last summer, when I joined the gym down here, I was surprised to learn that the swimming pool is outside. And now I can say it's been a bit of a problem for me; the weather recently has been cooler than usual for the time of year, and frequently is bringing me down to "not happy to be outside in just a swimsuit, even before we talk about getting in the water, and then getting OUT of the water in a wet swimsuit" levels. Back in October I was all, "oh, this isn't so pleasant but it's okay," but this month has been more "oh, no, not happening."

Please note that, as the parts of the country are experiencing negative temperatures, I am not complaining generally about the temperatures down here. Just in the context of outdoor swimming pools! If the temperature is 50-60, that sounds so nice, right? In January? And yet, if it's overcast, and there's a breeze, it goes right down to exercise-discouragement level. Nor am I the only one complaining: we've talked about wanting a wind-break by the side of the pool, about ways to heat towels, about how cold it has to be before they don't even open the pool. I stand by my recent statement that halfway through a fairly rigorous workout, I shouldn't have goosebumps.

It's a challenge, all right, and unfortunately I think the only solution lies in waiting for it to get warmer out.

No comments:

Post a Comment