Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Breath In, Breathe Out. Repeat.

If you were to ask me how I'm doing right now, I would tell you a little story. It's from when I was a kid, maybe 6 or 7, and I went to a week-long camp, maybe a Girl Scout camp. By week-long, I mean it was Monday morning to Friday afternoon, and my best friend was there, and I had a good time.

Until Friday morning. When I started crying. And when they asked what was wrong, all I could say was that I wanted to go home. They reminded me that I was going home that afternoon, but it wasn't enough. I had had all I could, I was done, and all I wanted was to go home.

I made it to the afternoon, of course, and it isn't like I think about that experience a lot, but it came to mind on Monday, because I am really at the end of my rope, emotionally speaking. Nothing has gone wrong, nothing has been terrible, it's all proceeding as it should (and in a sellers' market, that means it's going well), but I just suddenly can't take it any more.

And I guess I can take it, technically; it's just gotten harder. The realtor called Monday afternoon and said that a potential buyer wanted to come in Tuesday morning to do a pre-offer inspection. I asked her to explain, and she said that if they made an offer, and if it's the offer we accepted, they will waive the inspection contingency as part of the process. And I guess that's a good thing?

It did show they're serious, anyway, as why else would you pay for an inspection before you even make an offer or know if it has been accepted? I honestly don't know why they wanted an inspection so much that they're willing to pay for it on spec now, but maybe it's supposed to give their offer an edge. I don't pretend to understand the nuances of these things.

I didn't actually object to the inspection at all, except that it meant I had to put everything away, again, and that was ... dispiriting. But I did it, and took the work computer to Starbucks, and got myself a brownie as some consolation. (It was decent, but not as good as the Ghirardelli double chocolate mix, honestly.)

I could have stayed with my friends longer, and avoided this, but part of good self-care is knowing what you need, right? And by Sunday night, I simply needed to be home again. It was better for me to have two nights and a day at home, and then clean up again. I'm just such a creature of habit and routine, as you may perhaps have picked up on if you've been reading here long.

Annnnnnyway. You may recall that the offers were due in today, and I am pleased to say that there were a few (and in fact, most of them waived the home inspection). Now I'm working with the realtor to go over them, since of course (of course) it's not perfectly straightforward which one is best. (The only down side: no cash offers. That would have simplified things dramatically.) Like so many things in life, I think it's going to come down to picking one, not at random, but in hopes that it will work out, more than in a clear case of this one is obviously best and will work out perfectly.

I also talked to an attorney today about handling that part for me. He said that it's his preference not to have the seller come to the closing, and I was quick to tell him that I am FINE with that. The less I have to do (and pretend to understand, etc.), the better.

It's all going so well, and yet it can't be over soon enough. I think it's time to get ready for bed. After maybe some chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. This, too, shall pass. You WILL get through it. Deep breaths. Visualize sunny weather and beaches. ahhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above comment was actually from me. I forgot to sign out of my other gmail account. D'oh.

    ReplyDelete