Saturday, August 19, 2017

Knit Details

As I mentioned, I made/am making some baby things, for a friend of a friend. I promised details, so here we go.

I pulled out some Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky that I had on hand (stashing for the win), and got hatting. First, the Close Knit Tiny Baby Hat.
(All pictures are before washing.)

It came out pretty cute, I think. I did a bit more I-cord at the top, in order to tie it off that way.

I also wanted to do a ribbed hat, since they're so nice and stretchy for varying sizes of heads, so I cast on a Little Boy Blue Baby Hat in the same yarn. The first version was too big: I could tell about an inch into it, and when I pulled it off the needles, I found I could stretch it over MY head! That was 64 stitches, so I tried again with 44, which worked much better.
In fact, it was perhaps a little on the small side, and not quite as stretchy as I was hoping for. So I cast on for another, with 48 stitches, and on size 9 needles instead of 7s. I like it better, and it gives the parents more flexibility.
Meanwhile, I dug around in my stash for some yarn I remembered having, that I got at Webs a few years back. It was marked way down because of having parted from the labels, but it's a good match for Ella Rae Amity, so I decided it was as close to worsted weight as makes no nevermind, and cast on a Hoodie Baby Blanket. I'm doing in in garter, not stockinette or anything more patterned, just a simple striped blanket.
I like how it's coming out, and am having fun deciding when to switch colors back and forth. I'll have to get more pictures: it's much bigger now, and the "wrong" side is as fun as the front!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home