Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Pleasures of Anticipation

I am still over the moon about yesterday's news, naturally: just getting to go to a Bruins game is a great treat, but front row, wow. Six days is a long time to wait; I know, I know, technically it's five days now, but this morning I counted six days to get through, which feels like a lot when I'm this excited. I wore my Bruins earrings today, and will again tomorrow. And Bruins shirts Friday, Saturday, Sunday. On Monday I either wear one under a sweater, or bring one to put on after work. I have so many Bruins shirts to choose from ... so of course I went out and bought another one. But I had to!
See? Ooh, I can't wait. I think I'll wear it Friday, then wash it for Monday...

On the other (more patient) hand, news came today that Patrice Bergeron is feeling better, enough that he's working out, which is excellent news, and who knows but that he might not come back sooner than one dared hope? Perhaps by next Monday? Probably not, almost certainly not, but the hope will help me have a little patience. Give him the time.

It was funny: while I was on the phone with my friend last night, hearing how the tickets came along, I looked out the window and in a bush across the street, saw a flash of red. The thought, "There's a cardinal," wasn't even all the way across my mind when there was a flash of blue, too: a blue jay joined the cardinal, to point out the very amazing nature of the evening. Or at least, that's how I see it. Rose-colored glasses.

It's been a good week, obviously, and I don't know which is the chicken and which the egg, but after weeks of serious struggling in the morning--since the time change, which was four weeks ago!--this week has suddenly somehow been easier. I'm still not a morning person, no, but I've spent the last month feeling fortunate that I don't have to punch a time clock at work, because I would have been late just about every day. This week? No problem. Funny.

I actually have some other exciting news to tell, another big contributor to my good week, which would have led the story yesterday except for the surprise I got: I'm taking a few vacation days around Memorial Day weekend and going to visit my mother. Yay! Vacation and Mum and warm and Florida ... ahhhhh. So that's medium-term anticipation, which I'll be able to focus on after the short-term excitement is past.

And I know, I said warm, and the weather around here is slowly improving. Trees are poking out buds, flowers are peeking out, sometimes I don't need a coat, or at least don't have to to bundle up in it ... there is encouragement in the air. It's just so slow, so one-step-forward, four-steps-back. This morning's weather forecast mentioned the possibility of SLEET on Friday! No matter how nice it gets here in the next six weeks, Florida will be warmer. I'm ready.

Now, I have a third period to watch (go Bruins!), but here's something that a friend led me to the other day. I barely even recognize the name Michael Buble, couldn't name a song he sings, but this story (from a few years ago) of him bringing a young man up on stage to sing with him, and being blown away by the kid's voice, is something else. It's a good way to end a post about feeling good, overall.

"Sam can sing! ... Holy shitballs, mom!"

1 comment: