Friday, April 05, 2013

Extra-Glad for Friday Night

I needed this guy today. I should have printed this out and carried it to work with me.

It wasn't an awful day, not really. But there was a bit of a Thing at work this week, revolving around our health insurance, and while in the end* it looks like the changes won't be too disruptive, the incredibly bad way it was, has been, and continues to be handled** has me deeply unsettled. No one likes to think that their job is balanced on a foundation of sand.
*Not that we're at the end, oh no, but the end that we're at so far. Who knows what happens next.
**It's like an unfunny version of "Our chief weapon is ... our two weapons are ... our three weapons are ... amongst our weaponry..."

You know how you sometimes read about employees of a company going to work one day to find the doors locked, and the company unexpectedly shut down? I could totally see that happening here. Either because someone forgot to pay a bill, or because the company ran out of money altogether: either way, that wouldn't really surprise me.

It's not a good feeling. I seem to have inherited a dislike of incompetence from my father.

So, what does it mean? Nothing immediate: it certainly isn't an "I quit!"-worthy event, no matter how it's raising my blood pressure in the short term. Nor am I going to immediately launch a full-tilt job search (what an exhausting thought). But I'm going to get my resume polished, so I'm ready when I need to be. I'm going to do a little research: I'd love to work for a company that makes one of those "Best Companies to Work For" lists, a place that values employees and treats them reasonably and just generally Knows What It's Doing, and some of those companies must need editors in one way or another. Maybe I even know people who work for some of these companies! I'm also going to start letting friends know that, should they happen to hear of some opportunity that "sounds like me", not to say, "Oh, but no, she has a job." That kind of thing.

In other news, I wonder why I felt so unmotivated at work today? Must have been thinking about Jagr, right? Yeah. Well, the Bruins won Jagr's debut last night, 1-0, the lone goal being scored by guess who. Granted, it went in off his skate, but if he hadn't been heading for the front of the net, his skate wouldn't have been right where it needed to be. As he said, it was a goal he would have hated at 25, but at 41, he'll take it. I love that he was hard on himself and praised his teammates after the game: being a team player is a very Bruin trait. I also love that Tyler Seguin, who wasn't born when Jagr entered the NHL, called him a "boy"!

The Bruins are in Montreal tomorrow night, fighting for the top of the division. One way or another, it's going to be a very interesting game.

No comments:

Post a Comment