Sunday, September 30, 2012

Blink. Where Went the Weekend?

Ahem. So.

Well, it's been quite a weekend, in good ways and not so good, and, yeah, that coherent thought that I hoped, on Thursday night, might return Friday, never did come to pass. (I don't think it is really here tonight, either. Fair warning.) Friday after work I ran some errands, and was so pooped by the time I got home and got everything in and put away and dealt with, there was no blogging going to happen. I didn't even think about trying for more than a brief moment.

Saturday I went to central Mass to visit a friend, and had a nice afternoon with her and her daughters; we went to an apple farm and a cheese shop and a feed store* and an alpaca farm ... it was fun, and I have pictures, and sometime I'll even show them to you. From there I went to the house of friends for dinner, in honor of their daughter turning eight, and that was also fun. I was mighty wiped out when I got home, though! A good day, but a long day.
*You'll never guess what I bought there. Seriously, not in a million years will you guess.

This morning the vet came for her annual house call. I got Miri in the carrier beforehand, since last year we had a devil of a time cornering her (last year I didn't remember to close the office and bedroom doors first, which didn't help). Miri went batshit, of course, and while I did get her in it, she drew blood and raced to the top of my shit list, where I imagine she will stay for some time (I offered to let the vet keep the carrier if she would just take the cat away, and I wasn't really kidding either). The vet says next time, put her in the bathroom instead. I asked how do I get myself out of the bathroom without letting her out, and she said I should throw her in with a towel over/around her, then close the door before she disentangles herself. Which I guess might work. I don't know how the vet then gets in and gets hold of the cat ... but I guess that part is not my problem, is it? If I don't end up bleeding, it would be an improvement.

Bottom line with Miri's health is that her teeth aren't great, but otherwise she's fine, naturally; if the good die young, she'll live forever. The vet did console me that she has very small kidneys, which means she probably won't live into her twenties anyway. The vet fully understands how I feel about Miri. Thank god. She didn't try to guilt me at all.

As for Carlos, he needs his teeth cleaned too, but more disturbingly, he has blood in his urine, which is never a good sign. Onto antibiotics he goes, and hopefully that will clear the infection out and be done with it. Nothing more serious, please, I can't take it! I went out for our old favorite pill pockets this afternoon; I gave him an empty one to try, and he seems to like it, so hopefully that will go smoothly.

I spent the rest of the afternoon and into the evening doing laundry, and I am so tired, I can hardly sit up. At 7:30! Not a good sign, is it? Sunday night, before a busy week and a weekend trip. I'm sure I'll be fine, though, right? Right?

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I hope Carlos heals up quickly, and that it's nothing more than a little infection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think the vet visits are more traumatic for US than for THEM. Oh, and I use "treats" as a code word for Pill Pockets. Seems to work most of the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so sorry she drew blood! Sometimes those kitties are tough. What do you feed Carlos? Olie was having problems with his diet and I switched him to Purina Urinary Tract Health dry food (all they eat is dry) and it helped. I tried to switch him to something different a couple times and we ended up right at the vets. Maybe something like that would help? Or maybe not? Hopefully you both feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Carlos! Here's to hoping he takes his medicine like a good boy.

    ReplyDelete