Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Of Socks and Socks

I finished the latest socks yesterday, two months after I started them (though I did plenty of other knitting over that period of time).

Yarn: my best beloved, Socks That Rock Lightweight.
Pattern: Claire (though I called them Do The Twist), by the same designer as my much-loved Skyp. The verdict? I liked this pattern just as much if not more.

And any time you start with 140 grams of yarn and have 5 left over, you're allowed to pat yourself on the back, even if you did have to frog and re-do to get to it.

I have to wind the yarn for the next socks and get them started, but in the meantime I did a little work on the Wingspan, and started something new (show you tomorrow).

In non-handmade sock news, I followed my friend's suggestion about getting walking socks to prevent blisters, and took myself to REI. Both amused and impressed by the vastness and specificity of their selection, I managed to refrain from getting hiking, trekking, or mountaineering socks.


Let's be real. Walking is more my style.
See that? "Protects against blisters" in bold, all caps. They must mean it!

I did also get some light hiking socks, since they felt similarly cushioned, and I wanted some shorter than the walking ones.

And I tried a pair of REI-brand walking socks.
Because they felt cushy, and are made from recycled plastic bottles. How do they do that?
These things are not cheap, but I saw a woman at the register whose bill was over $700, so there's that. I wonder what she was buying? All I saw was a shoe box. Maybe they were bringing a canoe around to her car.

Now, I'm off to knit and watch the Bruins. Take care of yourselves!

1 comment:

  1. As a runner and a walker I can say that good socks are as important as good shoes and a good sports bra.

    if you get alot of blisters you might want to try Body Glide on your feet. Works wonders. I use it when breaking in sandals and at the beginning of each summer season.

    ReplyDelete