Saturday, March 03, 2012

A Most Successful Hunt

One of the things I dislike about communal living--living in a shared building instead of a standalone house--is cooking smells. In a house, barring a cookout or a really specific breeze, you don't tend to smell what your neighbors are cooking, but here, I can't get away from it.

Sometimes, the smells are unpleasant to me, but tonight the problem is the opposite. One of my neighbors made something that has my mouth watering, and our relationship is not the sort to allow for my knocking on her door and asking for leftovers. I'd go out and try to find something satisfyingly teriyake-like, but I'm in the middle of laundry, so I will just have to suffer. Humph.

I have some more happy knitting progress to report. After all-but-finishing the sweater yesterday, I cast on a Wingspan shawl, which Mary Ellen recommended and I also admired elsewhere. The pattern is my favorite kind: simple to learn, and easy to see where you are by looking at it. No counting rows and getting in trouble if I put it down for a day without making notes. And it looks cool, even so early into it:

That's after one repeat; I'm into the second now, enjoying it. Wait til you see what the next triangle does to it!

I went shopping this morning (well, late morning; you know me that well, right?). Hit a few of my favorite places, like Savers, and also hunted well at JC Penney.

As you know, I like to point out things I did NOT get. This tag is either amusing or appalling. Which?
I wasn't aware that acrylics had virgin status, were you?

Here's the haul from the department store: a pair of chocolate-brown corduroys and a pair of jeans for ten dollars each, plus a poncho-shaped sweater that's light and warm and soft, and the best part?

Well, here's the original price:

And here's what I paid:
Two dollars. I win!

At Savers, I got a lightweight pair of casual pants and three nice shirts...
Plus a jacket, all for $30.

I also checked the craft area. There was a lot of yarn this time, most of it unexceptional. But there were these two skeins:
Of one hundred percent alpaca.
Quite pretty, right?
And trust me, they're soft.
And you simply can't beat that price.
Whoa! Win again!

The final reveal is more for the joy of fun packaging (though it came from Ocean State Job Lot, so it wasn't expensive). I'm sure I've mentioned my fondness for Toblerone before (mmm, delicious), and I couldn't resist this packaging.
You pull the red ribbon on the side, and the tray swings out.
Fun and delicious! Win and win.

The hunt was good. Now if only I could stop craving teriyaki and eat something else...

1 comment:

  1. You are quite the bargain huntress. And what on earth IS "virgin acrylic"? Meaning it did not come from recycled tumblers?

    The candy box makes me think of those toys you give pets to make them work for their treats.

    ReplyDelete