Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Knitting Qualms; Want to Weigh In?

I'm having knitting qualms about the sock-in-progress. I may have to rip back past the heel to remove a pattern repeat, then re-do, since I'm not sure I have enough yarn for the leg length I did. But I'm not sure I have to rip, and I hate to do it if it turned out I had enough, and I'm both second- and third-guessing myself.

Here's the current situation:
I need to do about an inch before starting the toe.

The ball of yarn stuck on the needle there is how much I have left. It doesn't look like enough!
But I weighed it, and it weighs 12 grams. Since the yarn ball was half of a 140-gram skein, that means that I've used more or less 58 grams, or over 80% of the sock. Is the amount I need to knit less than 20% of the sock? Sure seems like it should be to me ... but I'm hardly disinterested.

I mean, worst-case scenario, I either (a) knit on, run out of yarn, and have to rip back, which really is not the end of the world [more knitting time = more value out of the skein!]; or (b) I rip back now, knit the heel and foot again, and maybe have some yarn left over, which is also not the end of the world (I'm going to make franken-socks someday with all my leftovers bits of STR yarn).

I'm not acting on these warring impulses tonight; we'll see what wisdom the morrow brings. Thoughts, anyone?

Meanwhile, I'll be working on the Wingspan shawl. I've just finished the fifth triangle, and have enough yarn for four more, so I'm more than halfway. Here's a low-light lap shot.
I really like the way this yarn is showing! Wait until you see a picture in good lighting. This is going to look smashing over a black outfit, I think.

2 comments:

  1. Love the Wingspan - I've been thinking of making one myself.

    Insofar as the sock: you have little walnuts of leftover sock yarn so why not knit as far as you can, then finish the toe with a coordinating color? It's a sock, not a sweater, so it's highly unlikely anyone will know but you.

    p.s. I think my capitalization is wonky yet the colon is a break, not the end. English grammar and punctuation is so puzzling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Leslie's idea of using up scraps to finish the toe--only you (and your readers) will know! And I love the Wingspan, can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete