Friday, February 10, 2012

Knowing Where to Look

It's like wanting to look up a word because you don't know how to spell it, but since you don't know how to spell it, you can't find it in the dictionary.

I want to do something in knitting that should be quite simple, but the first way I tried it didn't work, and I don't know how to ask Google how to do it. I hope Google is working on their mind-reading! It would be very handy about now.

You see, I'm working on a simple design, mostly garter stitch, but I wanted to do a purl line along by the edge, just because I thought it would look smart. I thought that if I purled one row along the top and bottom, then did one stitch of purl along the sides just in from the border, it would look right. But it doesn't quite match.

You see the purl line along the bottom, and how it sits back from the garter stitches.


But the purl column along the edge stands up above the garter. How do I get it to recess the same way? I want a valley, not a ridge.


There must be a way, but I can't quite see how myself, and I don't know what to call it to try to find out. Hmph.

I have to rip this out anyway; that's okay. Perils of trying to work it out (math, you know), and it's not that much time and effort. But I'd like to do it right next time, to match what I see in my head, and I don't know how.

I'll listen to Carlos, who suggests that I sleep on it.

1 comment:

  1. I believe you will find the column recedes if you do it in stockinette - k the stitch in row 1
    p the stitch in row 2
    etc
    Yes, just like a small rib.

    At least I think that's what you're trying to do. Your horizontal line is fine but it's the vertical that bothers you, right?

    ReplyDelete