Monday, February 13, 2012

Hi there! I've been knitting!

So, sorry for the recent radio silence here. Saturday was fine, I just never got to the blog, and then Sunday, well. Trying to find the bright side of both unemployment and migraines, at least these days if I get a migraine on a Sunday, I'm not extra-pissed to be messing up my precious weekend, and starting the week on the wrong foot.

Not that either migraines or unemployment are particularly bright. But anyway. I'm trying.

Meanwhile, let's talk of something else. I have a story to tell you! This goes back to before I was born, when my grandmother made a baby blanket for me. She made it blue, to trick the fates into giving my mother a girl, and it had bunnies on it with fluffy white tails. My mother has never forgotten this blanket, but her memories of it are bittersweet, as it was somehow lost in a move early on.

Now my cousin is having a baby, which means baby! knitting! time! and though she already knows she is having a girl, I thought it would be a fun tribute to our grandmother and that story by making her a blue blanket with bunnies on it.

White fuzzy tails to be added later, but here's the start of it.
Kind of cute, even before the tails are added, yes?
This isn't the pattern my grandmother used. Though it's entirely possible that she kept the pattern, and it's in her attic somewhere, I decided that the tribute blanket could be my own design, or rather compilation, since I found a really cute bunny washcloth pattern that inspired these bunnies. I liked how it popped out of the garter background, and they'll be even cuter with white tails.

While I wanted to do garter stitch (quick, simple, social knitting), I did find the idea of a whole blanket of it a tad overwhelming. So after knitting a good solid section of it, I found some different bunnies to do, which you can just see at the top, by the needles.
I know, it doesn't look like a bunny yet. Have faith. I imagine that after these bunnies are done, I'll do more garter, then repeat these and the first bunnies going the other way. Though I may change my mind, as I did about the ridge I was trying Friday night. (I may yet do a border after I finish this, but for now, I like the way it looks.) Totally making it up as I go along.

Now, I have a cautionary tale to end with. If you find yourself with all the dirty forks in the dishwasher, and decide to use a plastic one for your hot pizza, be careful.

It's hard to use the fork once the tines have melted like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment