Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Following Up, Four Years Later

When I got my new clock radio a few years ago, one of the features I really liked was that it resets the time after a power outage (or even if you just move it--plug it in and it knows the time). That's come in handy recently; two mornings within the last week, I've woken to find other clocks flashing wrong time, but my alarm went off when it was supposed to.

This morning, I learned it's even better than that. Instead of going off this morning to the radio ("It's six o'clock and here are the stories we're covering..."), it went off with a be-be-beep, be-be-beep instead. I squinted at it in confusion, then realized that we'd lost power again and it was still out, but the backup system was working to get the job done. Hooray for Sony! Three cheers for El sistema de No Power No ProblemTM!

I was actually planning to write some more, but suddenly the computer is acting up and I'm getting tired, so I'm going to call it a night. Sorry for the blog-post-us interruptus!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't that helpful? And it's not as scary as the normal buzzer, right? My old Panasonic clock/radio/cassette (I know!) used to do that, but the Sony CD one I got to replace it seems to be the only model without the battery backup! Arrrgh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you just have to love the battery back up. I tie in fresh batteries with the time change - just as I change the batteries in the smoke detectors. Being in a rut has advantages.

    my security word is stologin -- st. o'login for the non-irish LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually bought the same clock radio following your post about it - and it's brilliant!

    Not just the power cut backup but the fact you can set two alarms...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Sony alarm clock too (different model) and I love that it sets the time but it always seems to get progressively faster...

    I use my cell phone for an alarm. I take no chances! ;-)

    ReplyDelete