Monday, May 31, 2010

Outing to Tower Hill

As sober a time as Memorial Day can be, I will admit that I have really appreciated having a three-day weekend. It's much more civilized than two days. (When will I buy a lottery ticket?)

Yesterday I trekked far far out, outside 495*, generally reckoned by inside-128* residents as akin to Outer Mongolia, and went to Tower Hill Botanic Garden with friends. And, I know you're shocked, I took a whole bunch of pictures!

*Boston is "ringed", inasmuch as a city on the water can be, by two highways: 128, which is also interstate 95 for much of the circumference, and 495 farther out. Like this:

It was just lovely. There are woods and gardens and views and details all over.


Mount Wachusett in the distance.


Parts of it reminded me a little of the woods around Green Gables, in PEI.



This plant looked like a weed on steroids:

Seriously, look how big!

I like fountains, but the water streaming out of the sheep's mouth was unnerving.

Pan looked up to no good, which fits all the stories.

A peace temple is a nice idea, but it's a bit pretentious-olde-style for something from 2002, I think.

The urn was pretty, though.

And the flowers! Isn't nature amazing?







It was a nice day and an overall nice time. Today I've been puttering, dishes and vacuuming and paying the bills, all highly exciting. Well, no, not at all, but satisfying, at least. I do love a clean kitchen. When I win the lottery, one item on my shopping list is a housekeeper.

1 comment:

  1. Those flowers are beautiful! And yes, a housekeeper. I want one like the Bradys' Alice or maybe Nancy Drew's Mrs. Gruen. I think that would be lovely. I already said this on another blog today, but the day my house was professionally cleaned was, like, Top Five in Life Experiences. RECOMMEND.

    ReplyDelete