Wednesday, March 03, 2010

A mini work-seeking rant

Don't you hate it when you're being ridiculous, you know you're being ridiculous, and yet you can't stop being ridiculous?

I found a job listing online to apply to. Yay, right? Right.

Except in order to apply I have to fill in my "contact information" on their site, and by that they mean:
  • name,
  • address,
  • phone numbers,
  • e-mail,
  • SSN (optional, thankfully),
  • addresses for the last 7 years (the position doesn't even require seven years of experience)(this section is optional also),
  • current work info,
  • work availability,
  • work history (optional),
  • education (optional), and
  • reference(s),
All this before I can load in the resume. You know, my resume, which I spent countless hours crafting to sell me to a potential employer? And now that potential employer wants me to type eleventy-million things into boxes just so I can send them my resume and they can ignore it?

And I know it's silly that this makes me feel grumpy, and inclined to snap, "Fine! I don't want to work there anyway!" I'm going to apply. It just seems like, already I'm doing everything to make YOU happy, employer? It's all about you?

It is. I know it. It just makes me grumpy.

Got to go. I have a lot of boxes to fill out.

3 comments:

  1. I can relate. I was looking for a part-time job around the Christmas season to earn some extra money. Borders online application takes an hour to fill out. I am not joking. Well, I actually answered all their questions and .... nothing. nada. ick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those 'optional' questions give you the chance to *repeatedly* say Please See My Resume. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck and hang in there!

    I once got assigned at the job I then had, ages ago, to read through a pile of resumes and distill each to a 3x5 card of very specifics the boss wanted to know about before bothering with any of them. I'm sure quite a few got tossed unseen based on that, so I was mentally putting each in the best possible light I could.

    ReplyDelete