Friday, August 21, 2009

A stunning statement, and possibly good-bye for now

I read a lot. A lot. Really a lot. This is not a surprise to anyone who knows me even slightly.

When I read a good review of a book, I often will request the book from the library, and by the time it comes in*, I've forgotten what I read or where. It makes for a little surprise, when I pick up something unknown.

*Not because the library is so slow, but because it's often new books, not yet out, that I request.

Recently, I picked up "Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading" by Maureen Corrigan, and last night I took a look at the opening pages. I didn't get far before I hit a sentence like a brick wall. Nothing wrong with the writing or the writer, by the way: just the content that poleaxed me.
"...according to a Wall Street Journal article of a few years ago, some 59 percent of Americans don't own a single book."
What?

I stopped, looked again, read on, went back. Wait, what? Seriously? Is this possible? More than half?

I looked around, and saw many reasons why this seems, very simply, to be something that I can not fathom.

Bedroom:


Bedside table:


Living room:


Living room:


Living room:


Living room (still):


Yes, living room:


Guess where:


Office/craft room:


Kitchen:


59% have not one book? I honestly cannot imagine.

************************

Today was a long day at work. Looooong. It would have been anyway, the day before vacation, but it seemed like half the company wasn't there today, making it hard to get anything done that required anyone else. I was back on the big project of much irritation. Not the best way to spend an I-don't-want-to-be-here day. However, at 3:30 my boss told me to leave, and the evening is looking up. The library books are returned, laundry is in, and I'm off to tackle the rest of the list.

I may or may not post tomorrow. I may or may not post from Florida. Possibly, even probably, but no promises. So take care of yourselves, okay? Have a good week, if I don't talk to you before I get back.

3 comments:

  1. Having worked in a bookstore, and also in a library that makes a ton of money from huge donated book sales a few times a year. . . I'm not surprised! Either they don't buy them (they just read them in the bookstore and leave them crammed in a chair) or they borrow them from the library, or they read them once and give them away. Most people consider a book "done" after it's read, I guess.

    Me, I refer back to them constantly. Or pass them around my family.

    I hope your trip is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at a party once, and felt there was something not quite right about the home. Realized later that there wasn't a single book in the place! Truly, some people just don't read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really have a hard time picturing that. I have books everywhere. Well, not in the bathroom. Or some closets. but, yeah, in every room of the house. I simply cannot imagine a home without books. What do these people *do*?

    Of course, we also do not have a single video game. Maybe I just answered my own question.

    ReplyDelete