Sunday, August 30, 2009

Home again, home again, oh joy

Yes, I'm home again, and not looking forward to going to work tomorrow. The average Monday-morning work apathy increases by roughly a factor of ten after a vacation week.

Also, it's cooler right now (about 70F) than it was at any time when I was in Florida. Brr. In fact, right now? Here's my mother's weather:


And me? I have the windows open, and feel chilly around the elbows. Today was a beautiful day, just a rather jarring change. I like hot weather, and even I found the weather last week to be a bit too hot. Not a problem, really, because everything is air conditioned (I expect that even dog houses are hooked up to a/c in Florida), but I would have liked to walk on the beach, and the one day I walked to the beach, I was too hot to then walk on the beach. And the water wasn't cool enough to be refreshing.

I know, wah wah wah, poor baby, right? Hey, I had a great time, and I'm not trying to say otherwise. Just that if you go to Florida in August, you get hot with a side of hella-hot. I knew that. I'm not complaining. Not even (much) about the thunderstorm yesterday that came along as I was at the airport, waiting for my plane to arrive; learned that it wasn't landing during the peak of the storm, nothing was (nor do I blame them); then that it diverted to Sarasota to refuel, literally moments before they reopened the runway; blah blah blah landing 2+ hours later than expected. The flight itself was actually fine, other than a bouncy descent, and was well redeemed by giving me an empty neighboring seat (which makes an amazing difference to the comfort level).

An-y-way. My last word on the weather is gratitude that the best weather we had was on Sunday, the day before Dad's 80th birthday, the day we went out to scatter his ashes. Sunny, slight breeze, calm water ... lovely.

After Dad died, his oldest friend sent these beauties.


And after the ashes, before a little good Scotch, the petals went into the water.


They floated around in every direction. Exploring. How like Dad.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sentiment.

    I'm sure Harold & Miri were happy to see you even if they didn't act that way.

    ReplyDelete