Thursday, July 02, 2009

Big plans for the long weekend

We've had some rain here lately, had you heard?


Yes, mostly much grayness, but also wet. In fact, there was a BOOM! of thunder at 4:20 this morning that didn't just wake me, it almost knocked me out of bed. I went around closing the few windows that I had left open in defiance of the brrr, then got back in bed listening to the deluge. Good times! Today has had flash flood watches and flood advisories all over. (There are only two for my town right now. Earlier there were five.)

Everything is wet. The flowers are drooping:


Raindrops puddle on the plants:


And the ground can't take it all in:


There's still beauty here and there, but it's all covered with a fine layer of moisture.


I think these are peony petals. I didn't know that they disappear into the pavement when it's this wet.


This morning, the Globe took a break from the weather stories (how bad business is for places that count on nice weather, like restaurants with patios and food stands; how good it is for indoor playgrounds and other indoor entertainment; how effing depressed 99% of us are by now) and printed this beauty, which I can hardly believe was really in the paper. Click on it to make it bigger:


How to build an ark. I'm so glad they converted cubits to feet; that will make it much easier.

On to the weekend. Happily, my department was told to leave work at 2, which is a charming habit the company has before holidays. I celebrated by stopping at two different libraries on the way home, to pick up holds. With my visit to a third library yesterday, I feel very prepared for the weekend.

I have movies:
Also I have a disc from Netflix with a few episodes of Torchwood, which I'm just starting to watch. Fun!

Then there are books:
Whew! Between that, and the usual tasks like laundry, the days will just fly by.

If it doesn't rain for that key 21 minutes Saturday night, I'll watch the fireworks on TV. I did hear this week about a party at a friend-of-a-friend's, but I felt I had to pass. I've been rather down in general since Dad died, no surprise there, and while I can manage social, somewhat, I don't feel up to festive. A party on the 4th of July is Festive. Not this year.

I'm trying to listen to what my instincts tell me I can handle. Dinner last Saturday with friends? Yes. 4th of July party? No. One step at a time.

And now, again, Harold is hanging around, mewing for me. He's such a love hound. I don't really mind, though; it's nice to be wanted.

Happy 4th, if you celebrate it. Happy Canada Day a day late, to our northern neighbors. And anyone else? Happy whatever you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment