Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Now I Know How Sir Edmund Hillary Felt

Yes, yes, climbing Everest, big accomplishment. But I went to the grocery store! Even though I'm sick! Which meant putting in my contacts, showering, and driving!

Okay, so it's not as big as climbing Everest. It only felt that way. I know I'm a little light-headed. But not only did I get food, the funniest thing happened at the store.

I bought more cold medicine, and I was carded for it!

Honestly, what is the world coming to? That a vague-eyed, runny-nosed, middle-aged person at a Foodmaster wants to buy name-brand Dayquil, and has to show ID for it? He punched something into the register! Like I might be abusing the decongestant, and need to be stopped.

Actually, he mumbled an apology as he did it. I told him it was all right, I thought it was funny. Although I suppose pretty soon, the junk-food police will require me to show ID to purchase my Ben & Jerry's, or make me choose between ice cream and pudding. You know they won't listen to my excuses, either ("But I'm sick! I need lots of smooth, easy-to-swallow foods!").

Does anyone else remember that joke that was going around by e-mail, about buying pizza in the future? Where they're cross-checking your bank balance and your cholesterol reports?

Anyway, my real question is this: if I have to buy more cold medicine in a few days (though I will NOT need to, because I will be feeling better, right? Right??), should I go to another store? Do you think they're coordinating this information-gathering with CVS? I'd hate to get hauled away for overdoing the drugs.

I'm certainly not going to see the Yarn Harlot tonight, which is a shame but not the end of the world. I'll be crapped out on the couch, trying to focus on the Bruins game. I may lie down for a while first, if there's room on the bed.

2 PM:

4PM:

Yes, they really did get off the bed in between. But not for long...

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I just found your blog (insert wave here). You are so right about the cold medicine. Even worse is that where I live, if it's after 6 pm or Sundays before noon, you are out of luck because it's behind the counter. I know that here, the stores share info and you are only alotted a certain number of boxes per month. I found this out after buying meds for me, my hubby, and my child in one week and being made to feel like I was going home to cook meth.
    Seriously, look at me people, I don't feel like coming to the store to buy meds, but I drew the short straw. I promise I'm not going home to cook drugs. THESE are the only drugs I need.
    Anyway, back on the subject at hand. I like your blog. Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete