Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed."

I was so excited to do my taxes.

As I think about it, many disappointments in life have come out of believing what "They" say about one thing or another. In this case, "They" say that owning a home is So Much Better than renting, and that you'll see a Really Big Difference when you do your taxes.

Apparently, we have different ideas of really big.

I did see a difference, there's no denying that, and yes, it is a positive difference. It simply isn't as much as I was thinking it would be, and apparently I was counting on my delusion more than I consciously realized, until RobotTax gave me the numbers.

So, what kind of part-time work shall I look for? Any suggestions? Because I really, really want to pay off this stupid credit card bill, and all the belt-tightening has not done it, and now the taxes are not doing it.

Shit.

3 comments:

  1. Having children doesn't help as much as you might think, either. I think you need to be really, really rich to actually be happy once the taxes are done. That's how it's set up now, right? So all the Really Rich People get the tax breaks? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could tell you other depressing stories about the tax thing and unmet expectations, but you already know that part. Being a fiscally responsible adult can put such a huge crimp in one's lifestyle-we'd-like-to-be-accustomed-to fantasy.

    Try a book store. Or maybe not. Your extra salary would probably be eaten up by the temptations surrounding you.

    Retail sales is an easy-in, easy-out (I think...times may have changed). The 7-day work week is very wearing (trust me on this one).

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pharmacy tech is a pretty good gig. It depends on the pharmacy, but in many it's an entry-level (no outside training) position. And they typically have evenings and weekends if that's what you need---and days if you don't.

    Fun to get your comment on that old post! I remember we mostly liked the Land of Make-Believe, and were less interested in the rest of the show.

    ReplyDelete