Saturday, October 12, 2024

Home. Safe. Exhausted.

We drove home from the east coast on Friday. Our neighbor, who stayed through the storm, had told us on Thursday night that the power was back on (so it was out for about 20 hours in total), and added Friday morning that it was flickering now and then, but staying on.

The drive was fine, two and a half hours instead of more than four going over. There was some bad rain at the start, which I could have done without on the crazy east coast highways (I don't think there are any interchanges near me where the GPS has to tell you which of the eight lanes you should be in, but if there are, I never drive on them), but soon enough we were heading west and it was just busy, not crazy, from there. 

We got home before 2 pm, and thankfully, the elevator worked to 1) get Mom and Maggie upstairs and inside, and 2) let me load up the big hotel-size luggage cart with most of the stuff from the car and get it upstairs. Then I took the cart back down and the elevator wouldn't go back up. Sigh. I texted the building manager, and he had the elevator repair person there in just a few minutes. 

Side note, I wouldn't want his job.

(He sent the elevator up and then got in the shaft, yikes.)

He stopped working on it long enough to let me take it up, bless him, and we didn't try to use it again yesterday. This morning, our neighbor let me know that it wasn't working when she went to walk the dog; we've been having lots of power fluctuations, and our elevator is so sensitive, sigh. I'm hoping it will work today, but who knows.

More to come, but that's the basics for now. Hope you all are well, from the hurricane or just in general!

12 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you're all okay. And glad the elevator worked long enough to get everyone and everything up (not sure what floor you live on!) Sounds like everyone in our blogging community made it through the storm unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got to come home and are safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're home and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to hear that you are safe and home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're home and safe, and grateful that you let us all know. Rest well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for letting us know you're home. I can only imagine the exhaustion you're feeling right now and hope you get a chance to recuperate from all the stress of these last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is good news! That poor elevator probably got a heck of a workout. I'm glad to hear you made it home and that everything and everyone is okay. It was so good of you to keep us in the loop.

    I'm sorry about your trip. I hope you can find a way to make it up somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you are home safe. What a stressful experience for all. And yes, my job is looking QUITE GOOD compared to that elevator repair guy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are home safe! The elevator issue sounds really frustrating and I hope it gets resolved soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!! I can only imagine how much work the elevator guy has right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you are home and safe! <3

    ReplyDelete