Thursday, May 03, 2018

Well. Thursday.

The Bruins did not live up to my hopes last night.

On the other hand (foot?), I got my sock through the heel flap and around, so at least I had something to show for the angst.

Before:
After (well, I did go on to pick up the stitches, but not much more than that):
It's been another hot day, though so far the thunderstorms in the area have not been close enough to hear. They may come in tonight, so I guess I'll have to close most of the windows before bed. It's been interesting, having them all wide open for the first time this year. (I've opened one now and again, but not usually for long, it hasn't been warm enough.) The fresh air and flowers scents have been marvelous! But all the neighborhood noises (this guy with his endless project involving a nail gun and a power saw; that woman with the crying baby; the other woman screeching at her husband), that's all been a bit much all of a sudden.

I've been nibbling away at the endlessness of moving. I have so many lists and spreadsheets that I almost need a list of lists. So many thing to remember, so many things to consider, so many decisions to make. At one point this morning I realized I could feel the tension raising my shoulders up close to my ears.

It didn't help that for work, I'm doing A Thing that is a whole new type of thing for us to edit (that makes five big new types of things this year, by my count, and their timing could not be worse), and it is:
  • Really much more business/tech writing than healthcare. It's entirely new jargon to me (Hadoop? seriously?).
  • Crammed full of style errors, lack of commas, UK English, lots of 'quotes' used for "emphasis," on and on.
  • Written by more than one person, at least one of whom is, how shall I say it? Far more confident in his command of English than he should be. There are way too many comments along the lines of "I'm not sure what you mean here" and "This is not the right word in this context."
Although I did get a good laugh from when he described data being stored in a way that is "non-rewritable/non-delectable." Other than that, the only good thing about it is that I should be done with it tomorrow. (Actually, one other good thing: at least it is in Word, with track changes, and not PowerPoint or Excel or Adobe.)

And tomorrow is Friday! And I can keep chipping away at the getting of things done. While I pretend that the buyer's mortgage will of course be approved, and the close date will go as scheduled, and I won't have everything upended under me.

I hope, I hope, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment