Saturday, June 01, 2013

Hot on Saturday, Thinking Cool

I'm wearing a Bruins shirt today, of course, and I wore one to fly on my recent trip. Naturally I chose my newest shirt, the Keep Calm and Bergeron, and on my first travel day, two different people at Logan stopped me to comment on its awesomeness. On the way back, I was getting off the plane, looked up toward the cockpit to thank the pilot, and before I spoke he said, "Keep calm and Bergeron, I like it!" Yes, that was "your Boston-based flight crew," but still, pretty funny.

I'm also mainlining popsicles* today. Wow, it's hot! I have had popsicles since last summer, but I totally forgot how to eat them when it's so hot they melt before you finish. It was 90 degrees at 10 this morning**, and though I do have air conditioning (thank god), it is struggling to keep up.
*Actually, I have Hood Pop Stix in the freezer right now, and I prefer them to Popsicles brand. But it's become a generic term, in my opinion.
**According to Weather.com, at 5:30 it's 88 here, and 83 where my mother is in Florida. Given that it was 40 here last weekend, you can understand if we're all a little stunned.

I've been moving the floor fan around, and should you be in a similar position, I have some advice for you: try to keep the cat on the other side of you from the fan, unless you like having fur blow all over your sweaty skin. Why is it that Carlos feels so cuddly today? I know, he's still getting over my being away, but oh man. Today I'm grateful at least that he is a sit-next-to cat, not a true lap cat. I'm hot enough! Good thing he's so cute (and sweet).

After getting through the mammogram this morning (ugh, but not awful), I had to go to the bank to get quarters for laundry. The branch that's open weekends is in the grocery store (I originally got an account with this particular bank for this very reason), so I picked up a few things while I was there. You know, grapes, cucumbers, crackers, and, well, a few frozen things. Not peas, either, but yummy hot-weather frozen treats. Mmm.

Speaking of peas! After work yesterday, I went around the mall looking for a dress to wear to a friend's upcoming wedding (and struck out, then ordered one online last night, we'll see how it does, stay tuned), I started for home and thought about stopping at Wilson's on the way. I almost didn't go, when it occurred to me that we're getting close to pea season. It's too early for them to have their own, but maybe from New Jersey ...?

Yes! Guess what I had for dinner? So, so good. I can't decide when I'm going back. If not before, I can go after work Tuesday, since my haircut isn't until 5:30. Time to go short again! I went slightly longer over the winter, feeling in need of a change, and it's been fun to have it be a bit different, but it flunked the Florida test and is flunking the heat now. I keep pushing it off the back of my neck, and I want it gone. Short, please!

Now, I said I'd have more Florida photos, so today, let's take a little boat tour, shall we?

Flower first! You know how I am. Doesn't this look fake?
 And how about the pods hanging off this tree: don't they look rather like green beans?
Mangroves are pretty cool.
There's an area for recovering birds, and though the camera chose to focus on the screening, you can see the cormorants with wings out. I love me some cormorants.
And pelicans!
 Do you mind? I'm bathing here. Could I have some privacy? Honestly! People!
 All right, boat tour! This is the size boat. The others are all named after fish, but that one (named by the donor) is after a bird ... that eats fish. Hmmm.
They're electric boats, by the way. Charge it!
From here, you can't tell where we're going to go, can you?
 But it opens up. A little.
 The mangroves "walk" out into the water.
Pretty neat. And I don't know what this one was, but he needs a haircut, too, doesn't he?
This concludes our tour for today. I hope you enjoyed it. I need to go get ready: the pre-game starts at 7, and I want to be all ready to sit on the couch for the evening, and not get up for anything but cheering (well, and bathroom breaks on the commercials, but you know what I mean). Go Bruins!

1 comment: