Tuesday, June 04, 2013

I Know, More Hockey, But Seriously, Folks!

Damn, can I tell you what a happy Bruins fan I am today? The Bruins dominated Pittsburgh last night, overwhelmed them, out-everythinged them, beat them 6-1 on a night when the Penguins had no excuse, zero, zip, none, for not coming out roaring on all cylinders. Instead, as Puck Daddy put it, "they were abjectly terrible in such a spectacular fashion." For a Bruins fan, it was great, start to finish.

Another key quote from Puck Daddy:
Pittsburgh's stars have yet to arrive in the Eastern Conference Final. Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, James Neal and Jarome Iginla are a combined minus-19 without a single point scored through two games. Letang and Malkin were a special kind of terrible in Game 2.
Ow, damn! I am not at all a fan of Crosby, but I will freely admit that he's a great player, arguably the best in the world .. except this month, apparently. What's happened to him? I have no idea, but I hope it lasts.

Also, remember the pilot who liked my Bruins shirt last week? I wonder if this was the same guy or another one?

Baby crying in back of Jet Blue flight packed w/Boston media. Pilot just got on intercom and asked if "Sidney Crosby was in the back crying"
What's making me even happier is all the holy-cow, where did this come from crow-eating going on around the hockey corners of the internet. I mean, this series is far from over, and I'm not going too far with it, but this dominant start for the Bruins is something that NO ONE predicted. Everything that I read before the series started called it for the Penguins. Not easily, not in a sweep, two pretty evenly matched teams, but everyone's guesses were Penguins in five games, Penguins in six, Penguins in seven. And now? Hi there. We are the Bruins. Not so fast. And today, the tide of popular opinion has started to change.

NESN's own Jack Edwards did a live chat on Boston.com today, and someone asked him, "What is the deal with the NBC crew? Could they be more depressed?" (I muted the TV in the first and turned the radio on instead, so I didn't hear this myself. I do not regret that choice. The Bruins radio crew is good.) His response:
We're sending anti-depressants. But we have cause to believe that NBC headquarters is devastated... some thought it was a water main that burst last night, but it was just a Flood of tears.
I guess some are finding it harder than others to let go of their storyline.

I always enjoy listening to the Backhand Shelf podcast, but of course today I really loved it, enough to listen to it (or parts of it, you can guess which) twice (John Noon is now calling for Bruins in five; Bourne thinks it's Boston, but hasn't decided in how many). The headline is excellent, too:
Backhand Shelf Podcast: The Penguins only need to improve their offence, defence and goaltending
So, not much, then?

I really have no idea what to expect tomorrow night. But it should be interesting!

*****
The report I have at work right now is written by a non-native English speaker, and by the end of the day, I can feel my brain cells dying. It isn't the worst I've ever seen, but it's an obvious few notches below where I'm used to seeing the writing quality. An exhausting few notches.

Of course, the late night didn't help, nor the allergies. I was hoping that the allergens would have run their course by now, or been washed completely away by rain, but no. I have to wash my car windshield in the mornings in order to see out. Don't believe me? Here it is this afternoon, with fresh pollen settling all over.
Also, I don't grab the top of my car's door frame when I get in the car, but someone does. Maybe when I got the oil changed? I guess I could lift the pollen-prints to find out.
You can kind of see how my deep blue car has a different tint these days. How about this one? I've noticed it before at work, since it's the same model as mine.
It's black, usually. And no, it doesn't actually have a yellow-green top, but I can see why you thought so. Lovely, isn't it? When does this season end? Soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment