Friday, June 21, 2013

Catching up on ... well, not a lot, really, but funny shirts!


Sorry for the recent silence, which was caused by the unfortunate juxtaposition of one headache day and one day when I had plans after work. Wednesday was a bad head day, thanks to the stupid hormones (also an upset stomach and cramps, awesomeness compounded). I had to leave work early, which I particularly hate to do when it's busy, but when I got to the point of considering how much longer it would be safe for me to drive, I knew it was really time to give in.

Once home, I got in bed for a bit, rested, got up, took something for the cramps, went back to bed, and woke up half an hour later feeling ... better? It was disconcerting, but good in that I got some much-needed laundry done before the pain started creeping back in. It didn't really go away the whole evening, but between that and the scorefest that was the Bruins game (they lost 6-5 in OT), the evening passed pretty quickly. (Next game is Saturday, then Monday; the series is essentially a best-two-of-three now. Go Bruins. [Fun fact: the Bruins' last loss in regulation was on May 12th. Crazy!])

As for last night, it was a rare work night when I had plans (and a reminder why such nights are rare for me). A few months ago, someone at work suggested that it would be fun to do an office event, the JP Morgan corporate challenge, which is a 5K run in Boston in June. I don't run, naturally (like Val Kilmer in Real Genius, "Only when chased"), but I agreed to be a cheerleader. Most of the office decided to run, and we got t-shirts and everything. I guess it's team-building or morale boosting? Who knows. What basically happened is that we met at a bar in Boston before and hung out, which was fun but loud, then walked over to the Common.

With a lot of other people. Here are a few. Apparently 12 thousand signed up for the race? Though rumor has it that not all actually bother to run/walk it, which I find funny. Of course, ours was not the only group doing pre-race warm ups in a bar, either.

One of the passers-by had a bicycle, and an iguana (?) on his shoulder.



Some of the companies had really great shirts! Like this, which had a picture of Jeff Goldblum on the front.
See at the bottom, people running from a dinosaur? Love it.

Then there was this one:
"Divorce. You never forget your first time." Good one for a law firm, eh?

The start moved slowly, but eventually they were off, and it was time for the cheerleaders to wait and watch for their triumphant return. Which was quick for the first runners overall, and fairly quick for the first in our group after a lot of scanning the crowd, then repeat, repeat, and finally it took a long time for the last ones, as they were walking, not running. Once everyone had arrived, most of the group headed back to the bar, but I got claustrophobic looking in at the crowd, and since it was getting later, I bowed out and went home.

It was kind of fun, but also very overstimulating and tiring, and much too late for me to be up, plus I'm so ridiculously sensitive that the 1-2 miles of walking around left me with sore feet today. Honestly. So, you know. Good thing it's not a regular occurrence.

And now it's Friday, and guess who is between me and the keyboard, purring?

No comments:

Post a Comment