Thursday, May 23, 2013

Of Jackhammers, Weather, and Away!

When I got to work this morning, it was to find that they were doing construction (or, rather, deconstruction) on the sidewalk just outside the office: literally, a jackhammer outside our windows. The floor was vibrating, the desk was vibrating: terrible. We were kind of laughing at how bad it was, but I also took Excedrin, since I could feel the vibrations around my head like an invisible swarm of bees. I was afraid I was going to have to tell the person whose report I was working on that it was edited as much as it was going to be. One of my coworkers had a call scheduled with a VIP in Italy, and was stressing out about how she would be able to hear him.

At 8:15, the noise stopped. We were afraid that it would start back up immediately, but in fact all was peaceful.

For five minutes.

Twenty minutes of rattling vibrating noise later, it stopped again. We waited.

Fifteen minutes later: again. Ten more minutes. Stop. Start again. Stop. I considered the possibility that we had achieved the definition of torture. It started again. Stopped. Meanwhile, someone must have let the boss (who wasn't in the office today) know about it, since she e-mailed to tell us that she contacted the office to tell them it had to stop once and for all. Which it did, thank heavens.

Still, wouldn't you think, if you had an office park, that it might be good to do such work outside normal business hours? Even if it cost you more?

*****
When I booked my flight, about six weeks ago, I remember thinking that by the time the trip came, I probably wouldn't even be excited to go to the warmer weather*, because by the time the trip came, it would be nice weather here. Well, ha!
*I'd still be excited to go, mind you; just not for the weather.

We have had nice weather here since then, but not for any sustained period of time, and this week? Well, yesterday was forecast to be 80 and instead reached the mid-60s. This morning was again 60, damp, thunderstorms coming. Warmer when I left work, but still, not that warm. Not nice. The five-day forecast has "highs" in the 50s and 60s.

In Florida, meanwhile, I'm looking at forecast highs in the 80s to low 90s, and counting my blessings. Relaxing with my mother, letting her spoil me, AND being warm? Count me in. If only Carlos would come, it would be perfect. (But then, it would be much harder to ever leave...)

I also thought I'd be well into summer clothes mode by now, and other than a sleeveless shirt here or there, I am not. Have to dig things out and get packing! I may write here while I'm away ... or I might not. Happy Memorial Day weekend to the Americans, and Go Bruins!

1 comment: