Monday, May 13, 2013

Musings and some Videos and links

Last week's Monday was actually pretty good. Certainly not bad: if there was one thing that would make a Monday morning less annoying, it's having it follow a weekend like that one. My head doesn't hurt? Excellent! Let's get up and get moving. Mind you, I was (and am) still coughing up gunk periodically, which was/is incredibly disgusting, but if the head held off, I was okay with it. Granted, it was hard to work a full day, which I attributed at least in part to the way the weekend went: about 90 minutes before it was time to leave work that day, my brain went to Done mode. Another reason was that the report I was working on had Tremendous Issues, but, you know, I still couldn't leave early.

This Monday, well. Saturday was a busy day, in which I accomplished a lot, but it was rather tiring. I slept terribly Saturday night*, then had a long sad day with a friend whose marriage has suddenly fallen apart. (On a side note, I may be the world's least confrontational person, but I really want to get her husband in a room and have a Serious Talk with him. Well, maybe more a rant than a talk.) She's being so strong for the kids, but oh, man. It was draining, basically, and totally worth it if my being there helped her at all, but was I ever worn out last night. Then the Bruins did ... well, they didn't, actually, did they? (Their effort has been so poor, the malaise spread to their plane, which was grounded last night. No, really. That's how bad the wings have been [ba-dum-bump])(Dinner for 50 at 11 PM on a Sunday night? Suuuure, you're the Bruins.)
*Was it the coffee I had in the afternoon? Taking my first CoQ10 pill, which it turns out may cause insomnia in some people? Combination of both? Something else? Just one of those things? Who knows.

Thus, getting up today was not exciting. That's the point I'm trying to make. I slept much better last night (no caffeine late, and take the CoQ10 in the mornings instead, plus I took a tylenol PM), but I still felt congested, as well as sad, this morning. The marathon bombings made me wonder how people can be so awful, and the cheating husband and "friend" make me wonder the same thing on a smaller scale. It isn't my pain, directly, I can't carry it for her, but it's hard to get distance from it all the same.

The congestion, on the other hand, seemed like maybe it got a little better over the course of the day ... not all better, but less all-encompassing, anyway, and I'll settle for that. Maybe one of these days, I won't have to be sure I have cough drops and tissues with me all the time. Talking at stitch and bitch, along with a little yelling during the first period, have me hoarse again, but hopefully that will pass.

I'd be even happier if the Bruins won tonight, but to be candid I don't expect them to. They have been so up and down this season, and I have no reason to expect that they will be up tonight (much as I hope I am wrong). They had a decent first period, less so the second... This is probably it. Then at least the stress of watching them, and wondering which team will show up, will be over, and I can watch the rest of the playoffs from a peaceful position of not caring who wins.

Off to watch that period. Things that make me smile (other than the old standbys):

An astronaut singing Space Oddity in space, which is just too cool for words.

Same astronaut showing what happens when you wring out a wet washcloth in space, which is also too cool for words, in a different way.


A story of a kindergartner who understands the way the world is and should be, better than some adults do. Go, Quinn. Thank you for giving me some hope.

(And in case you don't go through that last one, though you should, you shouldn't miss the penguin video she included at the end. The video is just, you know, penguins waddling around, but the voices are fanTAStic. That made me smile!

Although, the language at the end is ... not necessarily what I expect of penguins. Just so you've been warned.)

1 comment:

  1. Are you alive? Because last night's game nearly killed me so I can imagine that having had a rough Monday, it very well might have done you in! ;)

    ReplyDelete