Thursday, May 09, 2013

After the Game, zzzzzzzzz

Last night, after the Bruins, finally, in overtime, won the game, I saw this picture of the Bruins bear on Facebook:
I liked it, of course, but it turned out that instead of saying "sleep with a smile" it would have been more accurate to say "go to bed with a smile." I guess it makes sense that after all that adrenaline, getting to sleep was hard, and sleeping well was ... elusive. Still. Yawn. Blink, blink. I don't usually drink coffee at work (I have a cup at home in the morning), and today I had two cups, in the valiant attempt to stay awake.

We had a monthly meeting at work today that I'm supposed to go to, though I'm not sure why; very little of it applies to my job, and the part that does is generally wildly over-optimistic (all those reports are going to be published in May? Really? Even though the month is a third over, none of them have been through editing yet, and there are only two of us? That's ... interesting). There are enough of us that we don't even all fit in the conference room, so I elected to hang back, outside the door where I could see and hear but wouldn't distract anyone, and knit through the meeting in an attempt to stay focused. It kind of worked ... and I got a healthy chunk of knitting done.

Before:
After:
Who says meetings aren't productive? Would that it were more acceptable to knit at my desk when I am between reports; I would be closing in on the toe. But of course, when I'm at my computer, it isn't obvious if I am working, or (for example) listening to the Backhand Shelf podcast while drafting a blog post. If I'm knitting, it's sort of in your face. And while it isn't a secret that I'm between reports (and that there's nothing I can do about it), knitting seems kind of ... pushy. Less so in the meeting.

One of the people who spoke in the meeting, though doubtless a lovely person, had a truly unfortunate habit of saying "EM" (not um, EM) with great, great frequency as she spoke. Next time, I think I will time her, to see how long she speaks, and count the EMs, out of curiosity. Though, seriously, if speaking in front of others is part of her job, her boss should record her speaking, play it back to her, and make her count them. It might help her break the habit.

Other entertaining moment: hearing a native French speaker pronounce "sclerosis". It sounded quite beautiful!

I have GOT to go to bed early. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment