Tuesday, February 26, 2013

And That's Why It's a Cliche: Because It Happens

You all know the story: as soon as you find the best-ever item, the perfect sneakers, the most wonderful t-shirt, the most delicious yogurt, the ideal notepad ... no matter what it is, you've been searching for it and you found it and you know what happens next.

They stop making it.

Yes, how do they know? Are they spying on you? Do they bug your home or office to hear you declare that the search is over? Do they cackle and rub their hands together as they call down to stop production?

This has happened to me more times than I can count, and it's always annoying. The latest volley has to do with, of all things, coffee creamer. I've been trying different flavored ones, and my reaction has ranged from "ok, I guess" to "eh" to "next!" Then my friend at work brought in another new one, from International Delight:
Do you see what is says at the top? Salted Caramel Mocha. This is code for "unspeakably delicious"; it was love at first sip. I was happy to think I never need try another, having found perfection.

Unfortunately, do you see what it says at the bottom? Seasonal Edition. This is code for "will only be in stores until you try it and love it, then it will vanish and leave you brokenheartedly standing in front of the dairy case at the fourth grocery store you've tried, wondering if anything can live up to it, knowing the search is doomed to fail."

What, oh what, is "seasonal" about salted caramel and mocha? Nothing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment