Thursday, July 12, 2012

Muchly Randomness

Carlos was very disappointed in me that, after he made his position in regards to my coming home late perfectly clear, I was late getting home again last night. I think he despairs of getting his simple message through to me. Though I came straight home tonight, so perhaps that will comfort him.

*****
My Tardis shawl may have suffered a setback; I say "may" because when I looked at it and saw what I may have done wrong, the mere idea was too upsetting to contemplate, so I put it away before all the blood could rush from my head, and am waiting for the stamina to look at it again and be sure*. Let's just say that if you spend hours picking up hundreds of stitches, the cursing you did during the process is nothing to the cursing that will unfold if it turns out you did it wrong, and have to do it all again. Ooof. If I did what I think I did, it's totally fixable but very annoying. Which is better than not being fixable, but not by much.
*Which hasn't happened yet.
 
At least the sock is going well; I turned the heel last night, and used a new heel flap that is a fun alternative to the regular one. I'd heard of an "eye of partridge" heel before, but didn't realize that it was a variant of the heel flap and thus could easily substitute into my standard sock pattern (the Skyp, of course). Here's the basic heel flap, the straight-line part to the left:
And here's the new one.
It should be equally sturdy, and the look differs enough to entertain me (I know, it doesn't take much). 
 
*****
I've learned a few new jargony terms in this new job; one of the first was KOL, which I have mastered by now (it stands for key opinion leader: they get interviewed and then quoted in reports). The one that makes me want to giggle, though, is SWOT. Since I knew it as an informal British term for someone who's always studying (the closest US term they come up with is grind, though that feels dated to me), the idea of it standing for an analysis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats amuses me no end.
 
Especially threats.
 
*****
Wouldn't "Generic Erosion" make a great name for a rock band?
 
*****
I was reading up on some diseases at work, and went to the NIH website as a seemingly reputable source of information. You can imagine how I felt, then, when I ran across "nervves" and "Hormone treatments may may the tumor smaller in some cases" there. Ow, NIH, ow.
 
*****
Remember the "stop clubbing" picture from the other day?
 
Is it wrong that when someone at work didn't get it, my opinion of her dropped a little? Is that wrong of me?
 
This is another editor, to be clear. First she just glanced at it and away, thinking that it was actually about clubbing baby seals (like I would put up a poster about that at work--I mean, if I worked for Greenpeace maybe, but I don't, and even if it was my top cause, what does that have to do with my job?). Then she looked at it and said she didn't get it, before finally actually reading it and then calling it "weird". WTF? It's not weird, it's funny. It's a word-nerd joke. Hello? How is that not funny? Anyone? Bueller?
 
She's rather an odd duck, and she seems to be struggling even more than I am with the global logistics of the company (other writers in India and other editors in the UK). We'll see if she settles down to it, I guess.
 
*****
The temperature fluctuations at work are getting a little (more) annoying. It's one thing to dress in layers for chilly inside and hot outside, but it's another kettle of fish when inside is 77 in the morning and 72 by the end of the day. And when it's 69 the next morning, well, come on. A little consistency, please! And (I know I ask a lot) preferably not consistently 69-72. That's not warm enough for me. I think 75 would be perfect.
 
*****
Speaking of being out last night, I need to get to bed early tonight. Man, am I tired.

3 comments:

  1. I like the eye-of-partridge heel!It's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitty curfew is hard to live up to. Carlos seems fairly forgiving, fortunately.

    I think good-looking socks counterbalance anything that happened with the shawl. There's hope for it yet.

    And seriously, an editor didn't get the seals joke? That should be a loss of cred or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on losing a little respect for someone who doesn't get a joke as simple as that. Maybe she has a surfeit of seriousness and a deficit of humor?

    I also love the eye-of-partridge heel. It's a nice change from the slip-stitch rib I usually do.

    ReplyDelete