Saturday, April 14, 2012

An Awkward Question, Then Cat Pictures

I'm pondering something, and let me start by saying that I think this is one of those situations that has no solution, like whose rights are higher, the people who want to sit out on their steps at midnight chatting, or the person whose window is over their steps and is trying to sleep (just for example)(tonight I'm taking a unisom, though, damnit). But I wanted to bring it up anyway, to see what you guys think.

I was eating out, and given the high background noise in the restaurant, and my own nose in my book, I barely noticed the people at the table next to me. But halfway through my meal they left, and the next party was different. As soon as they sat down, I could clearly hear every word one of them was saying. His voice was loud, he repeated things a few times, and I would say he was probably not neurotypical. Which was mildly annoying, as he discussed repeatedly how "starving" he was and loudly pondered what he wanted to order, but whatever. You go out in the world, you have to deal with the other people in the world, right?

Once they ordered, however, he went on to talk about reptiles. Snakes, and breeding them, and how you can't handle them right after you handle rats or rabbits because they'll smell it on your hands and attack you, and so on and so forth. I'm not that fond of snakes anyway, and I was eating, so it made me unhappy to be included in this topic. But I certainly didn't feel it was appropriate to say anything, even if he could have been deflected to another subject. He has a right to be there, even as I have a right not to hear All About Snakes during dinner. Or do I?

Thoughts?

Meanwhile, Carlos.
Do you notice that I am ignoring you?
Hello?
Mom?

Bath time, bath time, washing washing washing...

Wait, what? Camera?
I can't believe you sometimes.

Being a kitty is hard work, hey buddy?
I sense sarcasm. That was sarcasm, wasn't it?
Of course not, baby. I know it's a tough life.

That's better.

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure I could do it, but I know my mother can, and has: "Would you please lower your voice or change the subject? Your topic is not suitable for a dining establishment."
    She has also huffed, and in a public-performance-carrying-voice informed the waiter to please inform the rude customers to leave, move, or be quiet so civilized people can eat in peace.

    Yeah. At 82 she still has more balls than I do.

    p.s. The letters I was asked to type in were most definitely NOT 'words.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you weren't having dinner with Indiana Jones. HE would've taken care of the problem.

    Seriously, I would've asked to move tables if possible. I have a hard time ignoring background conversations, myself, even in spite of an engrossing book.

    Carlos, Carlos, Carlos. . . the camera loves that cat.

    ReplyDelete