Monday, January 02, 2012

Still Tired, Slight Improvement, Look at Yarn

Gradually, my health improves. Today a friend came over for a belated Christmas, and I also left the house. No, I did! I went to the grocery store! It was great!

So I may still be slightly lightheaded. But I felt like I was safe to drive, and it's nice to have fresh supplies around the house. Such as vitamin C, of which I ran out on Christmas weekend (aka, about three days before I was felled by this bug). I swear, I kind of don't believe it helps with colds, but every time a bottle runs out, I get sick. Every. Single. Time. So, back on the C!

I did decide, reluctantly, that I'd better play it safe and not go out again, which meant no stitch and bitch tonight. I did want to go, but I'm still very tired, and I need to go to work tomorrow. So in lieu of that, I'll share some yarniness here tonight.

My mother suggested that fingerless gloves might be nice for when her arthritis is bothering her. I whipped this pair out in no time:


And was emboldened to try another pair as well:


If you are paying attention, you might see that this photo does not technically show a pair. The other hand is half done. Such is Christmas with a knitter! I'll finish the other soon.

In other knitting, I made a cowl and wristwarmers for my friend:


And in knitting for myself news, I finished the second of this pair on Christmas eve:


And immediately started the next pair. Due to the therapeutic power of knitting during a wonderful but overpowering Christmas day, I was past the heel before night fell. I started the toe today.

Santa also brought knitterly presents. For a start, my cousin got me a GC to my nearest LYS, which cracks me up as she is in PA (the powers of the internet!), and my grandmother gave me a check in a card in which (after the pre-printed "To wish you a joyous Christmas and Happiness throughout the coming year") she had penned "and lots more yarn". Smart woman!

My dear brother went into a yarn store in SF, and told me that when he was questioned about his knitter by the woman there, he told her that "She goes to Rhinebeck." Clever boy! He came out with this fun pattern book:


And this lovely yarn of many colors:


So both giving and receiving went well, yarnwise (and otherwise, but I'm yarn-focused tonight).

In other news, Carlos would like you to give thanks with him for the turkey breast I brought home from the store. (It's not all for him, but he doesn't know that.)


He's been a very comforting presence during my illness. Such a good boy deserves some poultry.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are feeling better! Those fingerless mitts are VERY nice. Where can I find the pattern for the second (grey) pair?

    I heart your brothers gifts big time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have blue fingerless mittens, too! Lizzie made them for me.

    Sounds as if Christmas was very good to you--and you are being very good to Carlos!

    ReplyDelete