Thursday, January 12, 2012

Feeling brainstormy? Can you divide 5 by 6 evenly and fairly?

I know I've mentioned before (read: griped about) how at work, we have a schedule for late-night coverage, so we know who will have to stay if work demands it. We're working on the schedule for this year, and being fair and even-handed is a challenge, because there are five days in a work week, and six editors.

Before I and the other new person (TONP) were added to the roster, there were 4 editors (temporarily). Each had one regular night a week, and then they rotated Fridays.

When I was added, I got Fridays (oh joy). When TONP was added, we struggled with how to assign things, and finally she suggested that she could alternate covering weeks for each of us (so I get 5 of 6 Fridays). On the plus side for her, she doesn't always get stuck with Fridays (ugh), but it's harder for her to know ahead of time when her nights are going to be (at least I know that unless I switch, I have most Fridays). She would like to have some more certainty, though, and I don't blame her, but how do we split five nights among six people?

No, seriously, how do we? You're smart people, you can figure it out. Thoughts, suggestions, solutions? If you solve this problem for me, I'll give you credit! I'll send you chocolate! You name it!

3 comments:

  1. This is probably not as smart as you are hoping for but what about not looking at it as weekly but monthly. The days would be different every week but could be preplanned?
    Doubt that helps but if you sit down with a M-F calendar and write everyone in maybe.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. M T W T F
    1 2 3 4 5

    M T W T F
    6 1 2 3 4

    M T W T F
    5 6 1 2 3

    M T W T F
    4 5 6 1 2

    Like Hunny Bunny, I think this is possible. If people have already scheduled an activity on one weekday, they switch with somebody else who's willing, or they have to do the day and give up the activity. Or, hey -- maybe they could pay you to do their day in addition to yours!

    Or you could put, say, the next 30 work dates in a hat and have each worker take 5 numbers, which would be their days.

    Drea
    Feeling more stormy than brainy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My idea was the same as Hunny Bunny's and Aunt Drea's -- a rolling night to work late. That way nobody is stuck with Friday.

    ReplyDelete