Friday, June 03, 2011

Can't be Too Blue on Friday Night

Maybe just a little, though.

This is not an original thought, but it baffles me how short weeks feel longer than regular ones. All yesterday morning I felt like it had to be Friday, and it just stubbornly wasn't. I'm wiped out by this week, emotionally as well as energy-wise*. The computer woes and the Bruins losing didn't help (and the Bruins losing to a background of near-constant thunder and lightning didn't help particularly either). Also, I blame allergies for the itchy eyes, runny nose, and general weariness this week (though yesterday, the weariness was more correctly attributable to the Bruins game not finishing until 11 the night before).

*I'm so grateful not to have been wiped out by a tornado, but even with it happening so close to me, it doesn't feel real, you know? Not like it could truly have happened. I'm sure the people who went through it fell the same way, though.

Having lost the photos makes me very sad. It doesn't help that there is no one to blame but myself. Not even just the vague feelings of maybe if I'd done this or that to the computer*, it wouldn't have gone all wonky, but literally that I've had "back up photos" on my to-do list for ages, and just didn't get around to it. So, poof, they're gone. Sometimes you dodge the bullet and sometimes you don't.

*And I'll be adding this to the endless to-do list as well. Great.

On the other hand, I remind myself, if I lived in Springfield this week, I could have lost the photos and everything else I have to a tornado. Not comforting, but true.

**********
I don't remember if I mentioned this when I wrote about interviewing (and I'm too lazy to go back and look), but one thing I have in common with my new boss is migraines (lucky us, eh?). She was actually out Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday this week, and came in today clearly in pain. It seems I'm not the only one who can't help rubbing at her head as though that would chase the pain away. (It doesn't. But I do it anyway.)

Knowing what it feels like on the inside made seeing her rather painful for me. I just felt so bad for her! Coherent thought is almost impossible with a migraine. But there she was, trying.

**********
I got a spam message recently that started out, "Hallo user To live long without deceit." Oh Really?

**********
Finally, I leave you with this nugget of wisdom from the library's website. I was looking up a book called Mrs Miniver, with the author Struther. Good thing I found it that way, since I don't think much of their suggested alternate, do you?


Computers. They think they're so smart.

7 comments:

  1. Just out of curiosity, I tried my public library's catalog.

    "Did you mean mrs miniver STRUTTER?"

    Must be a Philly thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you had a rough week. It seems to be in the air with everyone I know. Next week will be a nice reprieve (I hope).

    You are right about the storms it was so scary. Trying to stay calm and get the kids downstairs was something I'd prefer not do again. Having the weatherman yell the name of my town and to get in the basement again not something I want to do again. Mr. Bunny saw a funnel cloud but it didn't come down. I hope he never sees one again. You get my drift.

    The devastation out west is unreal. The picture thing reminds me of the news story of this man from Monson here's the link. Don't know why it came through Yahoo India but this is it.
    http://in.news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/monson-man-loses-house-to-tornado-6-months-after-losing-wife-25422552.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a quick learner, am I? Blogger has now eaten TWO comments and insisted I create a blogger account even after I signed in with my Google account. What's up with that, I wonder? This time I am trying 'anonymous.'
    ~kali

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gist of the previous comments were that you research 'data recovery tech support.' The files are quite likely still on your hard drive, but the computer has renamed them in computer-speak. They might still be recoverable. You take great photos and it would be a pity to many any!
    ~kali

    ReplyDelete
  5. -sigh-
    'miss any'

    ~kali

    ReplyDelete
  6. For future photos (and if you amnage to recover the old ones) you could always try an online backup service - I've had two computers totally die on me now and they have been brilliant - I use carbonite (www.carbonite.com) and it sits there in the background unobtrusively making sure everything is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops - my comment makes no sense - it should say 'manage' not 'amnage'and when I said 'they are totally brilliant' I didn't mean the dead computers - I meant the two different online backup services I was using at the time.

    ReplyDelete