Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Where I Am (Wednesday)

Well, last night I had mixed results. The Bruins disappointed me by making a comeback (wait for it) and then blowing it at the end, which irritates me more than losing all the way through*. Oh well. If they lose to the lowly Islanders tomorrow, then it will be time to panic; we're not there yet, despite the three-game losing streak.

*Not that I enjoy that particularly much either. So hard to please! I know I said I was expecting them to lose, but they tricked me by going ahead first...

I did figure out my latest snag with the Frost Diamonds shawl. I made a mistake that complicated my already annoying have-to-move-the-markers row*, but once I straightened that out, I think I'm back on track (we'll see how long that lasts). I only had to put it down and walk away once. And, miraculously, I'm still happy with how it's turning out, which is partly due to the pattern and partly to the lovely, lovely yarn. Lovely, cheery, soft and squishy BFL, I heart you.

*That still irritates me, obviously. The point of markers is that they stay where they are, to tell you where you are. I can't even count to 12 reliably over and over in a changing pattern, let alone to 71, or to 293. Yuck.

It was quite cold yesterday (20s and very windy), but the only reason that's news is because it was in the 50s Monday (positively balmy), and more like 40 today. It's even supposed to be maybe in the 50s Thursday and Friday. For that reason, I tried not to complain too much yesterday. Though when I came out of the store last night and the wind hit me in the face, I found that the term "flensing" came to mind. Man, that was painful. But short term, which makes a big difference.

The Globe had an article this morning about how the "slow thaw" meant we were less likely to have major flooding problems, and said that it's good to have some melt and then a re-freeze. I am not arguing with the science of this, but the people who said that don't have to walk on my walkway and driveway these days. Sheets of ice should come with skates.

Really, February's weather has not been the frozen hell that marked January, but there is still so much snow around, and it is all filthy and grainy and full of garbage, and just generally gross. It's somewhat less obstructive than it was a few weeks ago, but only looks good by comparison. Like, the intersection near my house where I couldn't see if any cross traffic was coming? I can now almost see before I'm all the way into the intersection. Isn't that nice? Yeah.

As is often the case, last weekend felt very short, so it was with pleasure that I looked at the calendar today and saw that I have a three-day weekend coming up. The company where I am currently, tenuously employed gives Presidents Day as a holiday, and bravo to them, I say.

In fact, I have plans for the weekend, and thus am extra glad for its extra day. Ever since I moved to my current home, I have had vague ideas for my little office room, but have done nothing much toward it, so the room is a catch-all of boxes and odds and ends. I have a table with my computer, a file cabinet, my yarn stash (not so much organized as contained), all sort of jumbled in there. Basically, it's a mess. I am such a pack rat.

I have wished to have a small seating area in there, and since the room is my only true option for a separate guest room, I thought it would be good if the seating folded out in some way: sleeper sofa, futon, something. (I do own two airbeds, a single and a double, so I do have options, but, you know, something more?) But not knowing quite what I wanted, being an inveterate procrastinator, and never having spare money* to throw at the problem, nothing has been done.

*Any spare change around here tends to go to yarn, books, and other bargains...

Now, however, I have a friend whose recent couch replacement leaves her with a small futon up for grabs, which is excellent! Except! I have to make room for it! Yeah. So I can definitely use an extra day to dig out space.

Ideally, I would remove everything from the room that isn't nailed down, and sort through it before returning it to the space in an orderly, sensible fashion. Doesn't that sound ideal? However, there's enough crap in there to fill every bit of floor space in the rest of the place, which is not workable, let alone cat-wise. I shall have to try sorting on the spot.

Some of the things I find will doubtless be thrown away, deservedly. I foresee some donation runs to the Salvation Army and the library as well, for things I can stand to see go to other homes. I'm not getting rid of everything, but honestly, if it's in a box from the move over four years ago? Find it a place or let it go.

I did take some "before" photographs, but I think I'll put off posting them until I have some nice "after" shots to take the taste out of my mouth.

1 comment:

  1. Boxes from moving in? Oh yes, you ARE an Aunt Purl!!! At least my boxes are just an accumulation of over 20 years in one place but those are getting minimized this spring. The local "free store" will love me come April and may.

    ReplyDelete