Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mood Elevation Wanted

Wow, I'm in a bad mood tonight! For several reasons, including but not limited to:
  • A long and totally jerk-filled commute, including the guy who veered around me as I was getting into a turn lane, seriously, WTH?
  • Coming home to find a notice for jury duty. Did I ever mention that I served on a jury in a murder trial? When I was 18?
So! Let's be cheery! As my dad used to say, "The key to success is sincerity. Learn to fake that and you've got it made."

My mom will be here, tomorrow... There, I feel better already! In 24 hours, we should be sitting down to dinner at her favorite restaurant.

Now, I actually didn't forget to mention the chocolate yesterday, I just let the music be its own post. Yesterday was Sand Dollars, mmm.



And today was Friendship Sweets.



Also, I finished up the last of my Christmas cards last night, and mailed them this morning, which felt like a milestone. I don't send out a lot compared to some people, less than three dozen, though I suppose that's more than others. Last year I got less than half of them done (I think; I don't seem to have kept track) before the project fell by the wayside of a tough holiday. I was happy that this year, I felt the pleasure, rather than the obligation, again.

Everyone has their own take on cards, which is fine by me. I like sending them (most years), like receiving them, don't mind not getting them from everyone I send them to ... it's all good.* I even put up the one from the newspaper carrier, and he's hardly a favored friend (he was late this morning, argh).

*Well, except for that one passive-aggressive card sender. But let's not talk about that, it spoils the mood I'm trying to improve.

I also scanned my card for posting here on the 25th, by which time the mailed cards should all have arrived (or that's the hope, anyway). I got the cards in early November, and have been waiting to show them to you ever since.

I also wrapped the first presents of the year last night, having decided that it was easier to wrap my mother's gifts before she arrives (call me crazy). It was fun in that seasonal way, wrestling with the roll of paper and the tape.

I have a small follow-up note to the music post of yesterday: I discovered that my MP3 player, in addition to playing stored music and FM radio stations, will record from the radio too. Now I have Bruce's Santa Claus to listen to whenever I want. (I have it on tape somewhere ... and I may have the 45 in a box, to be honest.) Neat!

*********
There hasn't been a lot of job-search-related news to pass on lately, December being what it is for job hunters. I did hear about a proofing position this week, but unfortunately it's in New Hampshire, roughly double my already-not-short commute, and I thought it over and decided I am not willing to spend 3+ hours a day, 5 days a week, on the commute. That's not my road to happiness. I just keep holding on to the hope that January will be better.

There are some amusing notes in the search, though. For instance, the e-mails I get related to the job search, which range from obvious-autobot (sales? really? franchise opportunities? me? you think? based on what exactly?) through agency recruiters and into some odd-ball territory. For instance, this rings some warning bells:
------------------------------------
We are looking for Proof Readers for our office in Burlington, MA. 1+ year of experience, we can also consider freshers with Bachleors in English.
------------------------------------
Freshers? Bachleors? They need more than just a proofreader, I think. I also think I have to trust my instincts, and for this one, they're telling me No.

Or this one. All spelling and punctuation is as sent; only names are redacted. I've highlighted the "best" parts in red.
------------------------------------

Dear, firstname lastname

JOB OFFER

Our establishment is deslighted to put forward you the position of Secret Shopper in Oh-Really Group Inc. after coming across on your CV at CareerBuilder online. Our HR department did its best to study your autobiography and remained to be pleased. We hope that your experience will be among our most valuable assets.

Necessary Criteria for being employed:

  1. Age: older than 27
  2. Internet access
  3. 3-5 hours of free time every day for taking your professional assignments
  4. Clean record

Job Benefits:
As it goes, Secret Shopper is an perfect way for employees to derive revenue in the process of providing feedback, making comments, making of, commenting out to establishment. This is a real challenge for you to get to the top of the career enjoying things you like above all. For instance, one may eat in café or buy things in online stores reveling in life and helping business at the same time.

Remuneration:
Your every month wages may come to $1,500-2,000.

Time Limitation of the Position:
On account of the great amount of candidates for this position, this office is time-bound. So, it is strongly recommended for you to provide us the necessary information about yourself ASAP.

To become the contributor of our organization:

  1. Please go to our site: Oh-Really Group Inc.
  2. Register yoursel
  3. Download, read take a close look at thoroughly a contract and underwrite it on a compulsory basis.
  4. Tell us the closest Walmart shop to you. Specify the exact address. Five shop are max. In Accepting this employment offer, you confirm that your work will be on at-will basis and resign any claims against Duh Inc.and its team.

About Oh-Really Group Inc.:
Our establishment is involved in work with other entities to improve grade on an international scale by applying anonymous resources. We cooperate in a team with over 300 entities world-wide. Our main work includes marketing and cooperation with merchandising firms, private investigation companies, training organizations and other entities that are drawn in Ghost Shopping services. Our member organizations deal with their consumers in order to establish the system of enhancing level of attendance.

Regards Faithfully

------------------------------------

And then it wasn't signed. Doesn't it just fill you with confidence? Don't you wish you could work for such people?

Yeah. So, anyway, for those who made it this far: any other suggestions for cheering myself up? Other than watching these over and over, I mean?



2 comments:

  1. Oh, no! Jury duty! I keep thinking there's a summons around the corner for me b/c I just renewed my license. (That said, my cousin's husband is a judge for the county--very helpful "out" to have.) I hope you don't have to go.

    And I have always wanted to be "deslighted."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the record, that "age: older than 27" is flat-out illegal.

    ReplyDelete