Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Interesting Feline Interaction Development

An interesting thing happened last night. When I closed Carlos in the office around midnight, Miri was in there too. I didn't notice until I went to free him this morning. And they were both fine.

In his regular nightly performance, at some point he starts meowing, and he meows around until I get up, he follows me to the office, and I say good night and close him in. At some point, I expect things to settle down, but so far every night he's ended up back in the office. He doesn't seem to mind at all.

But this is the first time he had company. Around midnight, I'm not counting noses when I lead him in there. I don't even turn on the lights or put on my glasses. And though Miri usually spends at least part of the night in bed with me, I didn't put two and two together to realize she wasn't showing up, until I was shuffling along to let Carlos out, realized I didn't see Miri anywhere, and hmmm. Could she be...?

She was. On a blanket in the corner, perfectly calm. He was on his perch by the window. Not curled up and snuggling together, but fine. No blood, no chunks of fur, no residual hissing. Just two cats coming out of a small room to see what was happening out there.

Very interesting.

*************************
I mentioned that I'm going to reviewing Crazy Aunt Purl's new book later this month. Does anyone have any questions for the author? About, I don't know, writing a book, or cats, or wine? Being a knitter in LA? Anything? I can ask!

I'm not sure how many of you read her blog, but I love it, and the book has been a lot of fun, too. And I'd better save further thoughts for the review!

*************************
I realize I haven't been talking about the Bruins much lately. I sort of feel like, what fun is it to talk about? It's certainly no fun to watch, in that the Bruins have won one game of their last ten. (The Capitals come to tonight's game on a ten-game win streak. Sigh.) Last year, they found ways to win; this year they find ways to lose. It's no fun.

Honestly, they aren't much worse than they've been in the last ten years, if you don't look at last year. But last year was so great, so fun, so entertaining and rewarding and fun, it spoiled me for sucktastic hockey. The contrast is too great, and too painful. Lately I've been turning the TV on and doing other things, wincing occasionally, trying not to care.

Last year was such fun.

1 comment:

  1. Carlos asks to get closed in his room? Must be his domain. Or just a bedtime ritual. But Miri's hanging out in there? Wild!

    BTW I always "count noses" before I leave, every time, and I have just one. (Does that mean she's a handful?)

    ReplyDelete