Thursday, February 25, 2010

Feels Like Hyperbole. Not.

I'm writing this and hearing it in my own head as exaggeration, but it's not. I mean this: today was the worst day I have ever had at work. Twenty years in the working world, more or less, and today was it.

I have never seriously, seriously contemplated walking out of a job. Just walking away.

I have never cried in the ladies room at work, really cried.

I have never felt like I might have to choose, right then, between employment and my sanity. Literally.

I'm doing okay now. Tonight I had plans to go to a friend's house for dinner and some Olympics-watching, and it was really nice, and despite the weather*, I went and had a good time, and I'm okay for now.

*So rainy, so windy, the rain was horizontal, and I was watching for tree branches in the road. And hoping the power would be on, which it is. For now, anyway.

The funny thing, if funny is the right word, is that there wasn't a "thing", an episode or event that caused it. Just that final straw that was too much. I can't take it. I have to get out. (The scary thing for my company is that everyone I talked to agreed with me that It Is Bad There.)

I am scared for tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. I am thinking of you my friend. I hope today is not as bad as yesterday. Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sucky days are currently winning...but they won't always. (If only because denial is my happy place.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like quitting and dealing with the financial consequences and staying and dealing with the bs are of nearly equal levels of distress. At least if you quit you'd be distressed on your own terms. Have you put the word out to your personal network that you need work?

    Worried about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds terrible. I hope the morning brings an improved outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your bad day. I can't imagine working in a place that I didn't enjoy going to.

    I hope you can bail.

    ReplyDelete