Monday, July 07, 2008

Too much to fit in one title

The best-laid plans; rose resurrection; garden producing; and fun on the fourth, including fireworks and a great movie

Just over a week ago, I came across something about Stitch and Pitch games, baseball games to which knitters (or, I suppose, any stitchers) are encouraged to come. One of these games was being held by the Lowell Spinners, not impossibly far from Greater Boston; I thought it sounded like a fun summer event, and certainly I want to encourage any entity that sees knitters as a valid group to market to. I proposed to my Stitch and Bitch group that we go, several agreed, and we made plans to meet there.

In our innocence of such things, we (or at least I) did not consider the possibility of the game selling out ahead of time. Was I being naive? I don't follow baseball at all, but somehow I just didn't have the impression that the minor leagues completely sold out all that much. Certainly, I would have known it was different for the Red Sox, since even I have heard how well-nigh impossible it is for anyone to get tickets. (They're not even having a Stitch and Pitch game; no need to try to drum up business.) But, I'm sorry, the Spinners? Really?

We got tickets, but it was close to sold out. Silly me. I did take lots of pictures, but perhaps we'll do the photo essay for that tomorrow, as I would like to get some sleep tonight.

In preparation for the game, I did start the socks this weekend, my traveling knitting for times and places when the blanket is too cumbersome, so that's ready for my trip in two-and-a-half weeks (but who's counting). Pictures of that tomorrow, too. Toe-up again, with the yarn I bought at Webs in April. The down side is that it will be hard to put these aside for the blanket. I may have to leave them in the car, and not bring them in the house at all. Ah, what would life be like with willpower?

*******************

In the Spring, before winter had loosed its icy grip, I bought a small rose plant. It was so pretty, and I craved the color.


Then there was an Unfortunate Incident involving an insufficiency of water, and the plant has been without flower for the last three months. It lost a bunch of leaves, too, but I didn't think I had completely killed it, so I was more diligent with the watering, and it's been filling in nicely. Today I was rewarded with this:


The plant really sprouted over the long weekend. I wish I'd taken a picture on Thursday; ah, hindsight. In any event, I only have an inch or two before I have to move it: it's getting close to the underside of the shelf.

*******************

With some trepidation, I went out to the garden this morning to see what time had wrought. And then you know what? I had a snack.


Delicious! And more coming. I was very excited. That's the way to go, Monday!

Also, one of the flowers has decided to change direction. Interesting:



*******************

As late as a week ago, I didn't have any plans for celebrating the Fourth, but I ended up having lots of fun. My best friend had to work the fourth and fifth, but I drove down to her (she lives in RI) Friday afternoon, had fun, spent the night, and drove home Saturday morning to a whole weekend ahead of me. We had thought of going to the beach in the afternoon, but it was so not beach weather, so she suggested a movie instead.

We saw WALL-E, and it was great! You're totally rooting for this little robot with all his quirks before events even start unfolding, and then! Well, I won't give anything away, but we both enjoyed it very much, and I would recommend it if you're at all interested. To be honest, when I saw the preview months ago, I was on the fence: it looked like it could go either way, be great or a total waste of time. However, the Globe review was very, very good, and then a friend of my friend's had seen it and said it was great, so we decided to go, and I'm so glad we did!

Nor was that all we did. After a delicious dinner at her place, we went out again, for the PawSox were having fireworks after the game. And they, too, were great! Seriously very professional, lots of ooh and ahh. It was such fun.

Now, seriously, I need some sleep! (I wish I could get Cotton-Eye Joe out of my head. Bad enough to have any song stuck in your head, but one you don't like? Ouch.)

No comments:

Post a Comment