Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Tonight's dilemma, in excruciating detail

I have a dilemma, related to the space-time continuum, and how there's only so much time in an evening without resorting to lack-of-sleep. Really, doesn't working take up a great deal of time?

Here are the things I either wanted to do or thought I ought to do after work tonight:
  1. putting the weed-blocking stuff down on the garden
  2. making cookies
  3. making dinner
  4. watching what may be the last hockey game of the season (hoist that Cup!)
  5. watching Doctor Who, since the lovely library e-mailed me that more DVDs are in
In more detail (just what you wanted):

1. I bought the stuff last night, and it's ready in the car. The weather, though, hmm. From the garden's perspective, it's a good time to do it, since it was raining all morning and misting this afternoon, so the ground will be wet and, I don't know, pliable? But, my feeling was that personally, I'd rather not lay the stuff out when it's raining/misting/precipitating on me (because it's all about me, you know?). And since I don't want to, I'm not going to. Maybe tomorrow.

2. I've been wanting to make these since the weekend, but didn't have the ingredients. Picked them up last night, raring to go. These are semi-healthy cookies, so you can feel less guilty for eating them. They have Oats! And ... coconut? I've lost track, is coconut kinda sorta good for you? What is coconut, anyway? In the animal-vegetable-mineral grouping, it would have to be vegetable, but that doesn't seem right. Am I going to regret getting into this, like when "they" claim that a tomato is a fruit, even though it's clearly a vegetable? (I mean, to me, if it goes in a garden salad, it's a veggie; if it goes in a fruit salad, it's a fruit.) (Don't be wise, I'm not talking about croutons.) Well, back to the coconut. Hang on.

I'm back! According to Wikipedia, it's a nut. Although that information is in a paragraph with the heading, "The fruit". (I guess something can be the fruit of its particular plant without really being a fruit?) Plus in the "Culinary" section, it says that the "seed" is edible. What is the world coming to if I can't count on Wikipedia to give me a straight story?

On the other hand, or to get back to the first question (which, in case I've really lost you, was whether coconut is at all good for you), the Coconut Research Center (really) says that:
Published studies in medical journals show that coconut, in one form or another, may provide a wide range of health benefits.
This is followed by a loooong list of benefits from coconut (not that the Coconut Research Center would be at all biased, right?).

By the way, wouldn't you expect the Coconut Research Center to be based in Hawaii, or California, and not Colorado?

I'm really straying from the subject, aren't I? (And I'm very parenthetical, too.)

3. Some would put dinner before cookies, but not me. However, I either have to make something, or figure out what else to eat for dinner and bring soup for lunch tomorrow. It may be easier to make this pasta dish, which I have the ingredients for already, is delicious, and makes tons of delicious leftovers. (That's the pro side. Con: lots of dirty dishes, not so good on top of the cookie plan.)

4. I don't have to watch the whole game, although the notion that it could be the last one of the season makes it more tempting. On Monday I had the game on while I was reading Blood Noir, so I wasn't really "watching" it all (though of course I finished the book before the game was over, which is not usually the way it works). Tonight, I will be torn between hockey and...

5. More Doctor Who than I can, or at any rate will, watch in one night! Some libraries lend out the whole season in one go (Here! Have 10 hours of stuff to watch, bring it back in 7 days, hope you didn't have other plans), while others break them up and do them individually (bite-size pieces are easier, or less pressure anyway, but you have to request each one separately, and try not to get #5 before you get #2). Thus far I've had the first and second DVDs of the 9th Doctor series, but now 3 and 4 came in. Woo! That's 7 episodes, plus bonus features, which will take me a couple of evenings to get through.

n.b., four and five are mutually exclusive, though both have the benefit of compatibility with cat-lapping.

The thing is, I can't do all of those things (without shorting myself on sleep or sanity), so I have to be selective, and patient, which does not come naturally.

Now that I think about it, does patience come naturally to anyone, do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Rather randomly, I am allergic to coconut, so health benefits or not, none of that in THIS house. But I always wonder, because so many yummy-looking recipes contain coconut, can I just omit it without causing something dire to happen within the cookie? And I don't work, at least not for pay, I wrangle children, and I still don't have enough time to get to everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One could argue that blogging about it all uses more of the precious commodity (time, not coconut) but you write about it so entertainingly (never mind parenthetically)you caused a good chuckle on my end.

    So, did they get made? Or did dinner come first? And the mosquitoes would have been out in the mist and (although you probably don't taste like coconut)you would have been eaten if any gardening had happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've come to the decision that I hate Time. It's keeping me from being the awesome person I know I could be if I were able to knit/read/camp/watch/exercise/bake/garden/stargaze/put all those photos in an album for Pete's sake! I have not reached my full potential, people!

    And it is all Time's fault. It cannot be "managed", wrangled or tricked. It will not listen, pause or have mercy. Who invited Time to this party? Not me.

    ReplyDelete