Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tired, but the garden is half weed-blocked

I just got out of the shower. I'm generally (always) a morning-shower person*, but I had to get the dirt, sweat, and bug spray off me before bed. Yes, I worked in the garden after work today. Whew! My plot was mostly shaded, there was a lovely cool breeze, it was about 80, which is 20 degrees cooler than Monday and Tuesday, but still. An hour and a quarter wore me out.

*My hair can do Terribly Interesting things when slept upon. Sometime I'll take a picture so you can see. There are mornings when I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and laugh out loud.

And it's about half done. If I can move my legs tomorrow, I'll try to finish it after work, but only if.

Before I started, a quick glance would be hard-pressed to find the plants I planted among the burgeoning crop of weeds.


After, there is a little order to it:


Doesn't it look happier? More able to breathe?


Or at least not get choked to death by weeds?

I certainly did the garden-prep backwards this year. Next year, I will buy the weed-blocking supplies before I buy the plants. If I could time-travel back a few weeks, I would let myself know that, and also that I shouldn't let my excitement over the tilling and plot-marking of the garden send me off to buy plants before finding out if the water is turned on yet. Just for example. Live and learn, eh?

My legs are aching. After I planted, the legs hurt, really hurt, for about three days. Fun stuff. I was really quite grateful when I checked the plot the following Monday and the plants were still there. I'd felt trepidation over the weekend, wondering if all the aching was in vain.

I still get nervous when I go out to look at it, but so far, so good. One of the cuke plants has died, but of natural causes (and I don't call a critter natural). It wasn't the healthiest thing to begin with. At this stage, other than the catnip and basil, we're pretty much at the water, watch, and wait stage. Patience is not my best thing.

I'll have to get pictures of the pea plants. They're sending out lots of tendril scouts. Too cute.

The other night, some areas got rain and lots of it, with some getting thunder and lightning and heavy wind too. Me? No thunder and so on, which pleases me, but I was hoping to get enough rain to clear the pollen off my car. Instead, it's worse:


I can't decide if it's worth going through the car wash, when it will likely build right up again. It's such a mess.

And finally, how about the size of this leaf? It's huge!



I'm so tired. I'm going to try to stand up long enough to make chicken salad for tomorrow. I think I can, I think I can.

2 comments:

  1. I am the same way with the morning showers. My curly hair usually looks like a fro when I wake up, and if I go to sleep when it's at all damp, it's even worse. It's a big problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garden is looking good!

    ReplyDelete