Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Summertime, and the knitting's ... woolly?

Yesterday and today have been hot, and by hot, I mean this is what my car said when I left work yesterday:


Actually, it said 103 before I got the camera out. I grant you, it always gets higher when the car sits in the sun all day, and it went down about 10 degrees as I drove. But still. It's hot. At work, being inside was like being in a refrigerator (why do they keep it so cold?), and going outside was like stepping into an oven.

Neither is ideal. Neither is even all that comfortable, either to be in or to dress for. The special challenges of summer, you know? Being sweaty and shivering at the same time.

The thing is, on Friday it was about 55 and raining, and Saturday was in the 90s. It's a little drastic, the change.

And not just the heat. Well, yes, humid too, but that's not all. It's time for ... Invasion of the Pollen! All the puddles* have yellow-green edges, there are clouds of uck drifting through the air (see how quickly I can put the car windows back up). Eewww!

*The puddles are mostly evaporated, actually, and now there are yellow-green lines where they used to be. Charming.

And my car? I'm relatively sure it was once dark blue. Now?


Hmm. "Was" being the operative word.

So, I'm knitting.

No, not outside! For the love of god, I haven't even been walking at breaks, other than down to the garden to water it (10 days after planting, the plants are ... um, still there, which feels like an achievement). But thanks to the miracle of air conditioning, inside.

It's nice to work with yarn again, after all the netting for the scrubbies. I'm happy to make them for my mother's birthday, and in fact made one for myself and a couple for a friend during the same time period, but you know? Yarn is softer. Sounds simple, but it's a bit of a revelation.

I am, really, going to get back to the half-finished baby blanket project, but I'm whipping out a quickie first. Another friend just had a baby, so I wanted to send A Little Something. I have all these squares from the ill-fated alphabet afghan project that's been in Time Out forever, so I pulled out the P-for-Peter square, made a back (like I did here), and voila, little pillow:


Not the best picture, but I'll try to get a better one when I've finished the little something I'm making for his big sister. Once that's done, it's back to the blanket!

1 comment:

  1. Plus with the freezing A/C, it's even harder to adjust to the heat when you go back outside. Which sucks.

    ReplyDelete