Thursday, April 10, 2008

Improving weather, garden thoughts

Slowly, gradually, the days get better. We aren't quite at Sumer is icumen in*, and there are setbacks, but still, it's encouraging. Today was lovely, in fact, and it was wonderful to not wear coat, hat, scarf, and gloves every time I set foot outside. We even ate lunch outside, and it was beautiful, "I don't want to go back in, no, I simply can't" beautiful. I tried (really, I did try) not to dwell on the fact that it isn't going to last. (Le sigh.) It's hard. One step forward, four steps back.

*If you go look at that page, don't miss the parody section. Winter is icumen in, Lhude sing Goddamn!

As the season approaches when the charming work people will be getting the community garden ready, I ran a self-test internally to see whether I was at all over last year's critter disaster, and interested in gardening again. To my own surprise and possibly yours as well, if you recall all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, I am! The thought of growing things makes me smile.

Of course, that assumes that I can grow things, for myself to eat, and not the critter. The garden is fenced, but while it looks critter-impeding to my eye, it has been proven otherwise. So, what to do?

I think the basic thing to do is to get some short fencing of my own and fence off my little plot within the garden. Not that it would keep out a really determined evil critter, but perhaps if I make it harder to get my stuff, the thing will go with the easier target, like a car thief passing by one with an alarm for one without, and eat from other plots instead (sorry, guys; nothing personal).

Next, what to grow. I believe I will bring back last year's cast:
  • basil
  • green peppers (although maybe not)
  • cucumbers
  • peas
I also want to try plum tomatoes, to go with the yummy pesto that basil brings to my table. Mmm, pesto. And if I can find a catnip plant again, like I did two years ago, I'll get one, since Pan loves fresh catnip, and I can dry some for Harold. (He doesn't "get" fresh catnip, just sniffs it and gives me a blank look, like, "What?")

If any of you have advice, suggestions, or general gardening expertise that you wish to pass on, by all means do so! I might even take it. And no matter how it turns out, whether I follow your advice or realize I should have, I won't blame you a bit. Promise.

I'll blame the critter.

P.S. Repeat after me: Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment