Thursday, October 18, 2007

More knitting content

The cowl I've been knitting lately is really coming along. On Monday at stitch and bitch, I took it off the needles and put it on yarn so that I could try it on, and I really liked how it felt and looked (I went into the ladies room to use the mirror). Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera to hand, so no photos of that. However, I found a lovely stand-in tonight:


Winnie the Pooh was so obliging as to let me squeeze it over his head, squeezing being necessary because I didn't want to take it off the needles again (such a pain, isn't it?). The photo above is the around-the-neck method, while below are front and side shots of the other way I envision wearing this:



When I tried it on, I estimated that I wanted it to be twice as long as it was, in order to cover the back of my head. It measured 9 inches then, so I decided to go to 18 inches and then take it off the needles and try it on again. It will take a little while, but that's fine. I currently have nothing more pressing to knit (we'll see how long that lasts).

For goosefairy's information (and anyone else who wonders), I'm using size nine needles. I have to count the stitches, I really don't know how many there are. It feels nice and soft, and the twist gives a nice shape under my chin, rather than having it trying to uncoil and cover my face. I am optimistic! Again, we'll see how long that lasts.

In other knitting content, KnittinKitten was asking about my wristwarmers. Thanks for the kind words! I was looking for something to do with yarn I bought at Apple Festival last year, from an alpaca farmer, and Jackie at the Knitting Room gave me the guidelines. It was super-simple, since all that it involved was repeating two rows. I'm fairly sure it was K1P1 for one row, and then knit one row, but I'll look for notes and see if I wrote it down.

Same story with needle size: I believe I used size 10s, but I'm not positive. I remember that I used DPNs* to knit in the round, and yes, bound off (four stitches) for the thumb hole and then cast them on again the next row. The holes have stretched out a bit, but then the whole thing has. When completed, each one was straight, no shaping, but they've stretched out over the hand, leaving the wrist the size it was as completed. If that makes sense. It is the same number of stitches throughout, in other words.

*And, given my needle inventory, it had to be size 6, 7, 10, or 11, because those are the mid-size double-points I own in bamboo/wood.

As for the yarn type/size/weight, it's hard to say for sure, since it wasn't a conventional yarn purchase, and I don't think it had a regular ball band. It's much the same weight as what I'm using for the cowl, which is Knit Picks Andean Treasure. The farm's website shows hand painted yarn and calls it DK weight, while the Knit Picks is called sport weight, so perhaps I am confused. I know I'm tired, and getting cranky, so perhaps I shall call it a night. I'll be happy to answer further questions or provide more photos, if requested. I am overdue for a general answer-the-comments post, so that may happen this weekend. But I wouldn't want to predict!

2 comments:

  1. That cowl looks completely cozy and perfect for (*sigh*) the upcoming winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Pooh looks particularly fetching in that last pic with the cowl up over his head!

    ReplyDelete