Thursday, October 25, 2007

Conjunctivitis, or Why I Wore Glasses to Work Today

It's a good thing I love my friend's twins, because guess who just had conjunctivitis, and guess who has it now? Yes, they had it last week, poor little guys, and last night I started showing signs myself. Ugh! I've never had this before, and I hope I never do again.

It actually isn't particularly painful, just sort of weird, but the main problem is that I can't wear my contacts for at least a few days. I saw the eye doctor this evening, and he said if I have remarkable improvement, I can wear lenses on Monday. I never wear my glasses for much more than finding the bed at night, and finding the bathroom again in the morning; it's going to be a long couple of days.

He did say that it was a mild case, and that I did the right thing by taking my contacts out last night when I first noticed something was up, and especially by not putting them in this morning. I'm glad to know it was the right thing to do, because the muscles on the sides of my head are sore from flexing differently, and I'd hate to think it was for naught.

The timing in particular isn't great, because work has also been a little less than perfectly joyful this week. Let's just say that it turns out this was the right week for me to bring chocolate to work. Love those little Heath bars! I was going to try to spread them out, make them last, but I'm not sure my sanity is worth saving those calories. Eat up!

****************
I was reading an article about the fires in California, when I came across something that made me read twice:
But electricity was a concern. A wildfire cut a main power link with Arizona, while another blaze near Camp Pendleton was threatening the main north-south power corridor that connects San Diego with the rest of California. Additional power was being shipped from Mexico, said Sempra Utilities Chief Operating Officer Michael Niggli.
The italics are mine, of course. Isn't that an interesting concept... I'm thinking of part of Douglas Adams' The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, when Kate muses on those trucks she sees with only "Albania" stenciled on the side, and how she once looked up Albania's exports to see what they were shipping in such quantities only to find that all they export is electricity, which hardly seems likely to be shipped in large trucks.

Perhaps I am rambling. It may be time to put clean cases on the pillows and go to bed. Perhaps it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment