Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Actual Knitting Content

I just realized (I can be slow sometimes) that I haven't talked much about knitting lately. I have been knitting, but not blogging about it. Let's rectify that, shall we?

Having finished the square for Ms. K, I was working away on my scarf (yes, it is square, but it isn't a square, it will be a scarf):

...when I started to feel like mixing it up a little*, and I didn't have anything else on the needles. What did I want to knit, and have the yarn for?

*I used to be a monogamous knitter, once upon a time, but not lately: I put things aside and change projects much more than I used to. Wonder why that is?

The mood seemed to be for something plain and simple to knit, an antidote to the scarf pattern that requires me to keep track of which row I'm on (not that that's hard, but I find it annoying not to be able to tell by looking at it). I remembered that once upon a time, I had the idea to knit a cowl sort of thing, like a scarf in a circle, and I thought perhaps I would try that. I dug through the stash, and found some nice, soft alpaca that should be good on the neck:


The color representation isn't too bad, on my computer at least: medium green with a fair bit of yellow.

And I cast on a bunch of stitches on a circular needle (how many? enough to go around). I wasn't too worried about my join, meaning that I didn't follow the traditional instructions for knitting on circulars, "join, being careful not to twist". And in fact, it twisted, but that's okay. It's not a problem, it's a design element. For some reason, I'm enjoying the twist of it. It was pointed out to me that I'm not technically knitting a Moebius, as in Cat Bordhi's pattern, but I decided that I'm knitting on a moebius, and as long as I'm happy, I don't see why anyone else should be bothered.

Of course, photographing it on the needles is problematic. It doesn't look like much.


Here, the color washed out too much, but that's hardly the biggest problem the photograph has. Until I take it off the needles, we're all going on faith with this one, and I'm not doing it tonight, so updates will have to follow. At some point, I'll put it on a piece of yarn so I can see how it stretches out, how it fits and falls and all that good stuff. If it works, I'll either make it bigger or bind it off; if not, well, maybe I'll have to make string out of it, but I've been enjoying it anyway, and that's what's important to me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm anxious to see how this works out as I also have some of the same yarn and want to do a cowl with it. What size needles are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see you well enough to knit :) Contrary to her own opinion, Cat B did NOT invent the knit moebius - Elizabeth Zimmerman had knit a rectangle, twisted and then grafted it together quite some time ago. It's in one of her books. Cat does seem to have "invented" her "Magical Moebius Cast One". Please pardon my being pendantic but Cat B's claims rile me.

    Jackie ES of heartstringsfiberarts.com has a lovely pattern for a softly cabled moebius in her collection.

    ReplyDelete