Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Study in Contrasts

My weekends in August are and will be wildly different creatures. Looking ahead and back gives me whiplash.

The 4th-5th: With my cousin visiting, it was traveling and touring, driving and walking, going-going-going.

The 11th-12th: I made a slug look active. I did get a fair bit of laundry done, so I could have clean clothing this week (I know you were worried about that; you're sweet, really). I ran the dishwasher. Hey, I blogged. Otherwise? Not much. I didn't even leave the house. It was a reaction weekend, a catching up to sloth weekend.

The 18th-19th: I'm going to Nantucket. First time, actually, so I'm rather excited about that. On the other hand, my worrywart self is nervous about Cape traffic (notorious in Summer), catching the ferry, and many other variables I can't control (me? control freak? whatever gave you that idea? the things I learn about myself on this blog).

25-26: The 25th is day two of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation's annual Sales Meeting, so I'll be (gasp!) working, on a Saturday. It's actually voluntary; only Friday was mandatory for my department. I felt there was a lot I could learn from the Saturday sessions that would be useful later on (darn my parents and this work ethic) (just kidding, mother), plus there's a banquet Saturday night, so that actually should be fun to watch. Sunday, I hope to spend time with my best friend, to celebrate her birthday (hippo birdie two ewes...).

Does Labor Day weekend count as an August weekend? In spirit it sort of does. To me, anyway. I'm going to count it, since I get the 31st off in compensation for working the 25th, which gives me (ta-da!) a 4-day weekend! I hope to achieve balance that weekend, with accomplishment and sloth in fairly equal amounts. Do you think that's a pipe dream? Well, one must dream. I did move a doctor's appointment to the 31st, so that I don't have to miss work time for it, so that's good.

This is the headache doctor. Have I mentioned that the latest medicine he gave me seems to be (shhh, don't jinx it) helping? It's true: I've had fewer headaches lately. I know. I can hardly believe it myself. What is the world coming to, when you only have to see a doctor for six months or so before things improve?

I shouldn't knock him, actually; headaches are notoriously hard to treat. It's not his fault that the "it works for most people" stuff didn't help me. I'll be stopping that one, now, by the way! I can't wait for Coca-Cola to taste the way it used to (that's the weirdest little side effect I've ever encountered, from any medicine, having the taste of Coke change).

And I'll blink and there goes August. What happened to those endless summers of childhood? Going to bed when it was light out, "summer feet" from running around without shoes, popsicles, riding my bike, getting bags of books from the library on their summer-loan terms (that's the kind of kids we were, my brother and I).

Ah, well. September means hockey season starts again. The trees will turn pretty, and the air will have that lovely smell to it. Apple Festival is coming, and my birthday, and it's time to make applesauce and apple crisp with the "fresh from the tree" apples. It's not all bad.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your headaches. Have you ever tried bio-feedback for them? There has been a lot of success with treating migraines this way. The best thing about it is "no drugs". Have you looked into the relationship between sugar/caffeine and your headaches? I know you're probably sick to death of trying new things and going to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete