Wednesday, August 29, 2007

If I didn't feel old before

Thanks, AARP! Leave me alone now!

Yes, AARP is trying to get me to join again. This is the third time in my life they've sent me a membership card. For the record, I turn 39 in October. Of course, the first time they tried, I was about 25, so they obviously don't take the "R" too seriously, unless I'm mistaken: isn't it the American Association of Retired Persons? Don't you have to be, if not retired, at least 50?

I believe so. I am sending back their letter and card, in their own postage-paid envelope, with the following note:
This is the third time you have tried to get me to join AARP, and I don't even turn 40 until next year. You need to get a grip, and do a better job of finding prospect lists. Leave me alone for at least ten years!
I have absolutely no confidence that this will have the slightest effect, but writing it made me feel better. Some days, it's the little battles, right?

3 comments:

  1. They sent my little brother things for years when he was still in elementary school.

    Then the "adult" magazine ads started . . . I don't know how his name and address got out, but it was quite the fiasco for my mom. lol Finally, she went to the PO, and figured out that she could make arrangements there to get them to "filter" his mail because he was a minor. The AARP stuff still go through, but that was all, thankfully.

    Oh, the joys of bulk mail . . . one of the few things that keeps the USPS alive, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I became a member of the AARP when I was 36, the year I gave my husband his membership for turning 50! Yep - spouses are automatically members too - such a thrill :) What really gripes me about AARP is that it's turned into nothing more than an insurance and travel sales site.

    Maybe when you're really old enough to join they'll have something worth joining for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wait until your 50th birthday! Then they really put on the heat! :) Just to get back at my husband for all of his teasing me about being older (he's younger than me), I got him an associate membership...heh heh.

    ReplyDelete