Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Worth ten thousand words

The photography process may have helped me diagnose the root of the problem with the pinwheel. Before I reveal my conclusion, though, let's go to the photos, shall we? Here is my hat oeuvre.

An early hat, the basic roll-brim pattern (well, they're more like guidelines) from Laurie:

Similar, done with two colors of a thinner yarn held together (I wanted to try it, and it worked, I was so proud, and really like the effect):


The ribbed brim version, nice to try but I like making the roll-brim better (love this yarn though):

The roll-brim in a heavier yarn, resulting in a thicker, warmer hat (this one stands on its own!):


Same idea, this is the one I made for the Represent event:


Which I liked enough that I'm making another for myself, even now (and actually finished tonight, while waiting for The Evil Machine to work through its issues, I need to replace this computer like yesterday, and with the amount of time it's taking to do everything I could practically make another one from scratch although my hands are a little tired now but anyway I'm not taking another picture since it looks exactly like the photo above, which is the point after all):


So, those are the previous experiences I've had with hats, once I figured them out (by which I mean that Laurie knits much more tightly than I do, so I had to adjust her numbers as given in the guidelines to account for that, because at first I was making monster-huge hats, but now, I've got it down cold).

Then, there's the pinwheel:


Do you see the difference? It's supposed to sort of resemble the shape of the bottom of an acorn (upside down). Instead, it looks like the top of the acorn, unless it's forcibly unrolled and held down:


I suspect I increased it too much, gave it too many stitches, got carried away. The yarn may also not be structurally best suited to the hat shape, that may be a contributing factor, I don't know. Right now, it's getting put aside, it isn't a sock or a baby sweater so it is low on the priority list, friends. At some point, I know, I will have to decide What To Do. But there are times when procrastination is allowed, and this is one.

In a final, unrelated picture series, what does this say to you?

The white stuff on the cars: does that say Spring to you? Not so much to me, either. Winter is hanging on to the door frame, kicking and spitting and refusing to leave. Ugh, I say. If ever a flower said, "What the...?":


Daffodils in the snow may sound poetic, but I find I don't care for them in reality.

This guy didn't seem to mind it:


See how much was on the road coming home? (I was stopped, it was a red light!)


I can't get the last picture to upload, I give up, maybe tomorrow it will feel like it. I'm tired. Snow in April, it's exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment