Sunday, April 08, 2007

Some assembly required

If you use your imagination, you may be able to picture two baby sweaters from this:


Do you see? Let me help. One is red, with a little blue at the neck, cuffs, and waist, and the other is green, with blue at the neck, cuffs, and waist.

The pattern looks like this (a picture of a picture, this should be crystal-clear):


(Isn't he darling? The photo came with the pattern.)

It's knit from the top down, in the round, and Jackie says if I can do a sock (which, after all, I can! well, more or less, if not easily), I can do this pattern. So we'll see!

I have to try if I get gauge, or close to it, with the recommended needles, since the yarn is a little lighter than what's called for. Hopefully it will be close enough, since I actually already own these needle sizes and it would be nice to not have to buy more but we'll see. I'm excited to see how it goes, anyway, and I think baby sizes are going to be an excellent way to try sweaters and see if I like making them. After all, if I don't, no one says I have to again.

P.S. About the Bruins game last night: the season ended as the season has been going, i.e., Not Well. It was still fun to go, though, and the seats were great, and I'll say more and post some pictures probably tomorrow. Now, though, I have to get ready to go to Easter dinner with friends. Happy Sunday to you, from me and my bunnies.

2 comments:

  1. I have that very pattern--it was one of my first projects as a new knitter. I made one for each of my two middle munchkins. Here's a pic of the 2T size: http://www.rapidlightning.com/andalee/?cat=9

    I've found the sweaters to be VERY generous when it comes to ease . . . I could have sized down both of the sweaters I made, since the blue one in the pic above would fit my 5 year old (the sleeves and hem are a bit short, though). I would suggest that you get chest measurements for the babies these will be knit for (if that's possible :o), and choose a size accordingly.

    Oh, and these sweaters are the EASIEST to knit. Ever. I've been working on a bottom-up raglan out of Knitting Without Tears for the baby, and it's much more complicated. I don't think I'll ever do a bottom-up sweater in the round again. I'd rather sew seams than decrease at the top. (But you'd need to read the story: http://thepassionatemind.blogspot.com/2007/04/oh-horror.html

    Good luck, and have fun! Those will be really cute little sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. annalea, thanks for the advice! I'll try not to worry about gauge too much, since I can't measure the babies (they're due in August). It's great to know the pattern is an easy knit, too; the reassurance is VERY welcome. Your sweater is adorable!

    Best of luck on the raglan: I wish I could advise, but all I can do is hope for the best for you. I do think they were asking for trouble when they called that Knitting Without Tears, but maybe that's just me, since I haven't done a lot of pattern work.

    ReplyDelete